jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

What's harder? Being a parent or a spouse?

1. Man of Strength profile image78
    Man of Strengthposted 4 years ago

What's harder? Being a parent or a spouse?

2. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 4 years ago

Many will feel that it will be parent as bringing up a child is not an easy task. There are too many things you need to be prepared as the child requires your attention. While being a spouse, it is much easier to handle as showering love for your partner is what you need to do.

I have my fair share of being a spouse and now a parent. Personally, it is more joys and happiness than being hard.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Both can be joyous. But parenting, I believe, is harder. Mistakes that a parent makes can affect a child for life. It is one of the hardest jobs on the planet but also filled with so much joy.

4. Reality2012 profile image62
    Reality2012posted 4 years ago

Hmm..I would have to agree that being a parent is way harder than being a spouse. In my experience being a mother is a non stop job while being a spouse is actually very optional. We have plenty of single parents in the world today.

5. DDE profile image24
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Parenting is the hardest as parents we are role models to our children and they follow our habits or actions so parents got to  feel secure in in their traits when raising their children. A spouse's life is much simpler.

Man of Strengthposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the great answers. I thought being a spouse was harder being that 1 in 2 marriages fail.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

i say, being a spouse is harder than being a parent. I could control my kids but not my hubby. He controls everyone around the house. It is hard to be a perfect spouse.

I agree. Maintaing a healthy and loving marriage takes alot of work. With so many responsibities and distractions in the world, you have to make an effort not to grow apart.

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Being a parent. My spouse normally understands. My son is from a different world.

8. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 4 years ago

I think being a parent would be the more difficult, because at least with a spouse, both people in the relationship are adults.  With parenting, there is the generation gap to consider as society changes.  In other words, I think there are more potential obstacles to consider with a parent/child relationship, than with spouse/spouse.

Great point. The generation gap is an obstacle. I never thought I'd sound like my parents, talking to my kids.

working