How should I communicate with my dad after my mother's death?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 10 years ago

How should I communicate with my dad after my mother's death?

My dad and I weren't really close.  We talked, got along, talked about sports, etc.  But I was always closer to my mother.  When my mother passed away last year, it left a noticeable gap there.  I don't know what to say to my dad.  I go and see him when he wants me to come over, but I don't know how to bridge that gap.  Any suggestions?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 10 years ago

My Dad went first (before Mom), but I can relate to your question.  I could talk about anything under the sun.  He couldn't; many of my favorite topics were either too far "out there" for him or directly threatened his core beliefs.  So I had to learn to limit my conversation to subjects he could handle--which sounds similar to your situation.
    I knew him very well; he misjudged me on a regular basis.
    The only suggestion I have depends on how well you know him.  Not how easily you can talk to each other (or not), but how much you understand what makes him tick.  It was generally fairly easy (relatively speaking) to get my Dad  to talking about things he knew.  In his case, that amounted to ranching, rodeo, hunting, fighting, trucking, logging, and military service. Beyond that, we were in dangerous territory.
    So, bottom line, my suggestion is to (maybe) see if you can get him to talking about himself, his own experiences,  It could help.  But if he's the avoidance type and won't go there, I'm clueless.

3. Savio Dawson profile image91
    Savio Dawsonposted 10 years ago

This is exactly my life situation, but to be honest I was close to Dad too... There were still some things I did, though..

1. Was the initiator of the discussion: I did not expect my dad to start a discussion, I would do it and more often revolved around the mundane about food, travel, market, anything and keenly listened so that I could build upon it.
    2. Try to talk about the topics he likes: This is interesting because my Father likes to talk about politics and cricket (in India), so I can just start something around there and then he takes over....
    3. Try to be casual and don't appear to put an effort to talk: This is the difficult part and easier said than done thingy..... What I suggest is while talking move around or appear to be looking at a painting on the wall, that way you don't put pressure on yourself to talk, at the same time not sending mixed signals to your Dad...
    4. Drive him to the market: This is something not many of us are accustomed to, but it is good way of getting started on something and even if you don't talk much, you are at least giving him some time outside..
    5. Watch something together: Go back to your mom days and just see if there was some movie he liked or some sports (like you said) he liked watching.. .Even rent an old video and watch together over a lemonade...

Just few suggestions and hope it helps...

1. davidlivermore profile image92
      davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well it would feel funny driving him to the market.  he can do that on his own.  He is still relatively young.  But I will have to try talking to him and watching something with him.  Maybe going to a baseball game again.  Thanks!

4. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

Talk to him as you always have but leave the door open to expand to the topics you usually shared with your mother. Test the waters and you may be surprised by just how much he would like to she these things as well as things he talked to her about but now has nobody to share them with.
    Give him a chance and he just might surprise you, if not you haven't lost anything.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

First of all, so sorry for the loss of your mother. I would just go with the flow. Let him start the conversation and talk with him about what he wants to talk about. He could easily open a door for you to engage in a conversation. Such as, "How have you been lately?" I think your company is what he really will enjoy the most. Good luck my friend!

6. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 10 years ago

The short answer is, OFTEN!
    First of all, I am so sorry for the loss of your mother.
    This is one of the recurring topics in my bereavement group. I have written a Hub on this, but thanks to you, I see I need to fiddle with the title! 
    It might be good to set aside an hour or so as a special date, when you go out together and have coffee. Or some other special time that you share together. It would be nice if you would make that suggestion, rather than waiting for him to ask. If you think about it from his point of view, he knows you are busy with your own life, and probably doesn't want to interfere.
    That way you will achieve closeness. Even if you don't talk much at first, just knowing he is important enough that you choose his company means more than any words could ever say.
    If you set aside that time, it will be more important than anything else in his life. It is a priceless gift for a bereaved parent.
    Trust me, I know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)