jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What should you consider when choosing a perfect name for a child?

1. TaxNerd profile image85
    TaxNerdposted 4 years ago

What should you consider when choosing a perfect name for a child?

2. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 4 years ago

It has to be something that the couple likes.  I know a science professor who named their kids Baryon, Tensor and other other scientific terms.  Mash ups of names are also usual.  Combining the dad's and mom's name can produce unique names.  Of course the parents may love it, but only time will tell if the child will get beaten up or bullied because of their names.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

While it can be tempting to do with something exotic or unique, I would shy away from anything too unusual that might cause the child problems. I would make sure it sounds good with my last name and also consider what kind of nickname might be coming from it.

When I was a teenager, I really thought one day when I had a daughter, I wanted to name her Dagmar.  At the time I loved that name. As I got older I realized, kids being kids would likely call her DogBarf....but because that is what kids do.

So I choose nice, pleasant names that were not too unusual.

1. jpcmc profile image89
      jpcmcposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Dagmar, that's quite unique.

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

The meaning of the name. Eugene means good birth, that is suitable for a boy. The real meaning of a name is important, not how it sounds.

5. myefforts profile image80
    myeffortsposted 4 years ago

The meaning is important when selecting a name for a child.

6. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 4 years ago

I like names that are unique enough that a child won't have 7 others in their class, soccer team etc. but not so unique as to be problematic.  As a general rule I think children (barring significant disability or such) should be able to spell and pronounce their own name by the time they enter school! I also wouldn't want to give my child a name they constantly had to explain or pronounce for folks.

7. Cre8tor profile image95
    Cre8torposted 4 years ago

You should consider that whatever you think the perfect name is....the child will likely think they wish they'd been named..."...".

I say this rather kiddingly but there is a good chance that it's true. I do also agree that the meaning of a name is important. It's almost as if whether you, the child or his colleagues in life know what the name means or not, it seems to sort of speak for itself. Really. Think of people you know and then look up the meaning of their name...how close is it??? I found many were quite close...perhaps it was just my good luck??

working