jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

How far can parental control be acceptable once you're an adult?

1. Whirlwindinurhead profile image61
    Whirlwindinurheadposted 3 years ago

How far can parental control be acceptable once you're an adult?

2. Sri T profile image79
    Sri Tposted 3 years ago

It is unacceptable. If they have done their job, the adult should be independent and capable of making their own decisions. It's ok to ask for advice, but control should never be allowed again.

1. Whirlwindinurhead profile image61
      Whirlwindinurheadposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Agreed Sri! Thanks for answering

3. Lori P. profile image86
    Lori P.posted 3 years ago

Control? Once a child reaches adulthood, he should be in complete control of his own life. Parents who hang onto control are misguided at best but mostly selfish. Parents shouldn't control even underage children. Their role is to guide kids along the way in order to teach them how to make their own decisions in life by weighing the benefits and consequences of their actions while not indoctrinating the kids with their own ideas and desires.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I guess it depends. If they're a legal adult and still living in their parent's house, they need to abide by the rules the parents establish even if it sounds ridiculous to not be allowed to drink or have to be in at a certain time. Other than that and if the adult is living on they're own, the parents should have no say over what they do. I do a few adults who still abide by their parents orders as to what type of car to drive, where to live, when to start a family, etc. I think it's ridiculous and the adult "child" should "cut the apron strings" and move on with life.

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 3 years ago

Parents should have no control over their adult children.  If they have done their job well, they need to sit back and let their children live their own lives, including making mistakes which is often an unpleasant but necessary learning experience.

1. Lori P. profile image86
      Lori P.posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

working