jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

To parents out there, is there such a thing as being too overprotective as far a

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

To parents out there, is there such a thing as being too overprotective as far as children go or

do you strongly contend that there is no such thing as being too overprotective with all the bad things happening in the world today?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7669046_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 2 years ago

I think a parent can be overprotective, but I understand why and I fight with that feeling every day. It is understandable to always want the best for your child, but I think we have a generation that not only was raised by helicopter parents (they hover over them) but also a generation that has always know the instant information given by the internet and smartphones. I think we will see a generation that is incapable of doing things for themselves because of overprotective parents and technology.

This has always been the case with each generation, but not at the level we have now because technology has made such leaps and bounds in the last 15 years. I am a Gen X'er and my parents told me how different us and the Baby Boomers are, but now they can't even remember what those difference are. Now they harp on their grand-kids instead of us.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes we boomers are dinosaurs and GenX or 13ers were the first technologically savvy generation.

3. profile image0
    Joshtheplumberposted 2 years ago

Are those the only options? Over protection can be dangerous. I'm certain I don't need to explain that to a bold and daring figure as yourself. What would you really like to talk about?

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

Parents today are WAY too overprotective, controlling and paranoid.  The world is not that much more dangerous now than it was when I was growing up, but I had a lot more freedoms.  Today, if I would let my kids play at the park by themselves someone would probably call the cops on me and say I was neglecting them.  I played in the park alone when I was a young child  and it was a few blocks away.  I grew up in a low crime area - I currently live in a low crime area.  You wouldn't know it by how overly paranoid everyone is around here though.  Sad really.

I remember when I was young, the neighborhood kids all got booted outside and told to run around and come back before dark - none of us were ever kidnapped or murdered.  We didn't sit and mindlessly play games for hours or have electronic devices to suck away our social skills.  Our parents didn't hover over us 24 hours a day - Childhood for most kids was better back then in so many ways.  I actually played, used my imagination, went to the park and breathed fresh air daily.

We skated without crash pads, rode bikes without helmets, and learned to fend for ourselves and be resourceful much more than kids do today.  We all survived - gosh I wonder how... lol.

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great answer!

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree! Love this answer!

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

I agree, most parents are over protective fear this n that, adult kids can't grip hold sticky situation, not independent at all

6. monia saad profile image76
    monia saadposted 2 years ago

Both parents be in conflict. I hope that I can leave my child depends on himself and not to fear it, but everything that surrounds us we can not

working