jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do so many extroverted parents underestimate, have low expectations of, deme

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why do so many extroverted parents underestimate, have low expectations of, demean, and

have a low/negative opinion of their introverted children? Many extroverted parents view their introverted children as somehow incomplete children.  They furthermore deem their introverted children to be lesser than extroverted children.  Some may even see their introverted children as undeveloped, slow, inept, backwards, and/or lacking even though their children are very bright.   Many extroverted parents are very uncomfortable with their introverted children.

2. thegecko profile image79
    thegeckoposted 2 years ago

Is this a question or a statement? Again, can you provide any research that supports the premise?

3. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

I seem to recall reading somewhere that introverts have the upper edge in the end.  They can change to become more balanced.   They can become more outgoing, gregarious and confident yet still retain their generally greater creativity and sensitivity.   They move, over time - providing they make the effort - to become more rounded, thoughtful and mature than their extraverted siblings, colleagues, and even their parents.

4. letstalkabouteduc profile image99
    letstalkabouteducposted 2 years ago

In some cultures, introverts are esteemed over extroverts (e.g. China) but in the American culture, extroverts reign supreme. We thinks extroverts are more enjoyable to be around than introverts -- funnier, livelier, and more engaging. Americans often deny their more introverted selves, trying too hard to seem confident and happy (e.g. drinking too much alcohol at college/office parties).

Some American parents do not accept their introverted children and want to change them. They believe their children will have more success in life -- at school, in the work force -- if they're extroverts. Fortunately, because of places like Silicon Valley where introverts rule, parents are seeing that extroverts are not the only ones who can make it big.

For parents who are unaccepting of an introverted child, I highly recommend the book  "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. As an introvert myself, I found it extremely helpful and affirming.