jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Did your parents encourage & appreciate your individuality& unique talents or di

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Did your parents encourage & appreciate your individuality& unique talents or did they

mold you to be their exact replica in terms of beliefs, aspirations, & outlook?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8586364_f260.jpg

2. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 2 years ago

Yes   they did...and  I am so thankful every day. Both of my parents taught me that I was special and unique that I could whatever I chose to be if I was willing to do the work it would take to make that happen.
    I was taught to problem solve and to think for myself (which was sometimes a lonely place to be)...being taught to problem solve was one of their most enduring gifts to me....figuring out 'how to' is still plays a pivoteal role in my day to day life.

3. phoenix2327 profile image82
    phoenix2327posted 2 years ago

Not at all.  They didn't even notice my talents much less appreciate them.  I was pushed to conform and expected to work in an office when I grew up.  Apparently they considered that quite a goal to aspire to.sad

It's only in the last five years that I've come to realise that I that I am a talented and creative person who never conform to societal standards.  My husband and children love me for who I am, even if my quirks drive them crazy on occasion.  I've come to appreciate my gifts and am learning to hone them and am having fun doing so.

My children are unique individuals and I appreciate that.  They have their own skill sets and I encourage them to play to their strengths.  When they get discouraged, I remind them not to use someone else's yardstick to measure their success.  They have to set their own high standards and work towards that.

4. jainswati profile image72
    jainswatiposted 2 years ago

Yes they do encourage and support what I like to do. My parents wanted me to be a doctor or in medical field but I wanted to be a software engineer. They had provided me  full support and I m a software engineer now smile

working