Do you believe that there is an increasing amount of infantilization of children

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Do you believe that there is an increasing amount of infantilization of children in post-modern

American culture & society to the extent that they have become risk-averse, being unable to make the most simple decision/bereft of basic social/survival skills, & aren't capable of exercising initiative, always going to their parents?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8101753_f260.jpg

2. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 2 years ago

We live in a society that tells parents they will be arrested for leaving their children home alone until they are 16. A society in which we threated to remove children for allowing them to roam the neighborhood. A society where a 10 year old riding their bike to the local gas station is considered taboo. A society where we are encouraged to hold on to our children as if they will die if we don't direct every tiny detail of their life.

So yes, our children as a whole have become children incapable of making their own decisions, incapable of knowing what to do and when, and incapable of being what normal should be. It's a sad situation!

I remember being 8 and riding my bike all through the town with my friends. People like to say times are different, they aren't really different in most areas, but when every other day you see a parent on the news charged with child endangerment or neglect for simply letting their child be a child it causes you to change how you parent.

3. WordCrafter09 profile image76
    WordCrafter09posted 2 years ago

Are too many parents today making babies out of their kids - a reply to a question about "risk-averse" kids read more

working