jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What if you just learnt you would have No living descendents?

1. threekeys profile image79
    threekeysposted 20 months ago

What if you just learnt you would have No living descendents?

How would that make you feel? How would it affect the course of your life and your actions to be?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13084847_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 20 months ago

I have no living (or dead) descendants and I feel the same way I always have--just fine. I'm not sure I understand why not having descendants would impact what I do or how I feel. Not having children was a choice I made many long years ago and it was the right choice for me and I'm still happy with it. If, on the other hand, you are asking about how I would feel if a child of mine died, I would have to pass on answering. I know what it was like for my mother when my sister died but that was because of the death of her child, not because she wouldn't have a descendant. So I guess I'm still a little confused about the question.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

The question was an innocuous one.  However, there is a pro-natalism & an instinct to breed.  In our pro-natalistic society, people who are childfree are still denigrated & pitied.  The thought is what will be the legacy?!

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 20 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13085458_f260.jpg

Life is a (personal) journey.
    I have never been one of those people concerned about who will be left to carry on my name/family lineage. There's enough on my plate.
    In fact I've personally never had a desire to have children and chose to have a vasectomy long ago. It's something I never regretted.
    According to Ecoclean.com each of us will send (64 tons of waste) to landfills over our lifetime! I guess my not having children is the ultimate in living "green". And they say: "Altruism doesn't exist."
    No "thanks" required! It was my pleasure! smile

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

MOST people really DON'T THINK regarding having children.  In fact, a survey was done in the 1970s & the conclusion was that MOST wouldn't have children if they had to do it AGAIN.  People have children to please & placate their parents &

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are lots of folks who secretly wish they hadn't had children especially those who are frequently in trouble with the law or treat them like human ATMs.
      It's not PC to say out loud; "I wish I never had children."

4. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 20 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8151974_f260.jpg

I have no immediate descendants & I'M FINE W/THAT.  I elected to be childfree.  However, I have extended descendants- first cousins twice, thrice, & even four times removed. 

So what if people have no blood or immediate descendants.  They will do fine.  They feel fine.  There are countless young people to befriend & guide.  Some of these non-related young people are more helpful, respectful, & courteous than blood descendants who are out for WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THEM!

There are people who have blood or immediate descendants who are miserable because of the quality of such descendants.  However, there are those w/no blood or immediate descendants who have young non-related friends who are quite happy indeed.  Not everyone is going to have children.  Even those who have children, the children may decide NOT TO HAVE ANY children at all.   Not everyone has the urge to breed.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

It would mean my children failed to have children or they died, both of which strike me as a tragedy.
    I'd focus on spreading the memes (beliefs) I share as a poor substitute.

working