parents splitting up

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. littledevil1983 profile image60
    littledevil1983posted 8 years ago

    hi, just aftyer some advise. me and my partner of 5 years have split up. we have a 2 and a half year old together. i have to leave the house with my daughter as its his families property. my ex has about 13,000 in saving where as i have none (i had to pay bills shopping etc) he is now offering me a 1 off payment of 3,000 to leave and start afresh with his daughter. am i entitled to more since im leaving with nothing and his daughter or is this it as we were not married?
    hope some1 has sum idea.
    thank you

    1. profile image0
      china manposted 8 years agoin reply to this

      I have no idea if it is the same in the US, but in most places you are entitled to half of everything including the house [whether you were married or not if you lived together as man and wife] and then he can be forced to pay maintenance for his daughter.

      Get advice from some help organisation rather than a lawyer quick as possible.  And good luck.

      1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 8 years agoin reply to this

        "rather than a lawyer"? Getting advice from a lawyer would be a good way to start as well.

        1. profile image0
          china manposted 8 years agoin reply to this

          If she can find a good one that dow not rip her off, a small chance of finding a good one but maybe worth taking - what do you think ?  or don't the free advice centres arhelp with a good lawyer as well ?

    2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 8 years agoin reply to this

      You have no rights over that house if he doesn't own any of it, but you do have rights to something like half of every bit of wealth he has accumulated since you married. So if those $13k in savings were accumulated since you married, then you should be going back and asking for $6.5k.

      As for the children/child that is a different matter, you need to appoint a solicitor. He will of course be required to give you a certain proportion of his earnings right up until your child is 16 or 18 if they stay on at school for A levels.

      I can see that you are from the UK, what I say may not be relevant in the USA. Remember that people on low incomes can get help with their legal fees in this country. You should have stated that you are in the UK, now you have numerous Americans trying to offer you advice which is... frankly... now redundant.

  2. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 8 years ago

    Is he trying to say that if he gives you $3000, you are to go away, with the child, and never contact him again?

    If he is, he's dreaming...he has to pay child support on his daughter, at least until she's 18.

    As long as he doesn't make you sign anything--I'd take the money, use it to get you and your daughter situated somewhere, then contact an attorney, to see what your rights are for everything else.

    If you don't sign anything--the money he gives you will probably be considered a "gift" in the courts--at least it was in Ohio when my kids were small.

    Good Luck!


  3. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 8 years ago

    He will have to pay child support...regardless of how much money he gives you.  The court considers the welfare of the child.  Getting a lawyer is the first step as others have recommended. Write everything down...what he said and the dates that he said it.  Write down every action he takes against you and the child.
    Find a support group...they will gladly help you through this.

  4. Pearldiver profile image79
    Pearldiverposted 8 years ago

    You are in the UK so you are surely aware that you are entitled to claim 50% of assets and liabilities... Unless a PreNup Agreement was signed prior to the commencement of the realationship period.

    If you have contributed to the cost of raising your child, then allowance must be made for what has been given up by you to do so and that is also taken into the equation.

    Everything is treated as JOINT and compensation sought must represent a shortfall to that 50/50 level of individual contributions by each party.

    Do not leave UNTIL you have retained a Solicitor who can offset their fees from the overall estate value. Don't assume that you do not have a legitimate claim over the property even if they say you don't.. the answer lies in the details 'en title'

    You need to note the individual contributions, joint contributions, joint expenditures, individual expenditures, joint and individual incomes, list of assets and liabilities as at the time you entered into the relationship and current levels.  To save some Legal Cost.. Do those sums and take them with you to your initial interview with the solicitor.

    Sign Nothing and Don't Leave Yet or get into a Hostile confrontation. Know your Rights and Good Luck. hmm

    NOTE: The issues relating to your child are generally dealt with under an another Act and you must not allow child issues interfere with the other relationship issues that in themselves are quite intensive.
    So.... Keep in mind that all Legal Authorative Parties must and will always 'act in the best interests of the child' and make orders only on that basis! Family Court guidelines will dictate the terms of child support and access. You can check the relevant Acts and Guidelines on the net if required.

  5. littledevil1983 profile image60
    littledevil1983posted 8 years ago

    thank you so much for all your advise, i will get in solicitors 1st thing monday and find out where i stand.
    i really appreciate the advise, i will sign nothing, and stay until i know all of my rights.
    thank you again

  6. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 8 years ago

    You will be entitled to free legal help

    Contact community legal advice, because not only will they help you, they will put you in charge of solicitors who specialise in family law.

    Good luck


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)