Fresh Strawberry and Cream Sponge Cake
I love this Fresh Strawberry and Cream Sponge Cake because it is so easy to make. This is a must-try recipe for busy people who love to entertain and impress their guests because this mouth-watering dessert cake will be ready in just one hour. It is perfect for afternoon teas, social gatherings, picnics and even birthdays.
Preparation and Baking Time
Ingredients for topping and filling
- 300ml thickened cream
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 400 grams strawberries
- 150 grams shelled pistachio nuts
Ingredients for sponge cake
- 1½ cups plain flour
- a pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup fine sugar
Instructions for making the sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base of a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper. Grease the paper and the sides of the tin.
- Sift the plain flour and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the eggs and sugar until the mixture starts to thicken and lighten in colour.
- Sift the sifted flour into the mixture. Gently fold the flour into the mixture until just mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin. Bake the mixture in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Insert a skewer into the centre of the cake to check. The skewer should come out clean and the cake is ready.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cake in there for a few minutes before transferring the cake onto a wire rack.
- Remove the greaseproof paper and leave the cake on the wire rack to cool.
Preparing the filling and topping
Wash the strawberries and cut out the tops. Cut about ten strawberries into halves and set aside. Slice the remaining stawberries into rounds.
Chop the pistachio nuts finely and set aside.
Pour the thickened cream and caster sugar in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until the mixture doubles in volume and starts to form peaks.
Decorating the cake
Cut the cake horizontally into halves. Lift up the top layer and put aside. Spread a layer of cream mixture evenly on the bottom layer. Arrange the strawberry slices on the layer of cream. Then spread a layer of cream on the other cut layer of the cake. Place the top layer over the bottom layer so that the strawberries and cream are sandwiched in between the two layers.
Spread cream over the top and sides of the cake so that the whole cake is covered with cream. Press the chopped pistachio nuts around the sides of the cake with a small spoon or a knife. The nuts will stick to the cream. Scoop up the nuts that fell off and press them again onto the cream.
Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining cream by using an icing piping bag. Arrange the strawberry halves in a circle on the top and use the remaining pistachio nuts in the centre.
Chill the cake in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or until it is ready to serve.
Please rate this cake recipe
- Crispy Pork Rind Cracklings - Pork Chicharrón
Deep fried pork rind snacks.
- Roasted Pork Belly with Crispy Crackling Skin
Recipe for the perfect roasted pork belly with crispy cracklings.
- Quick Healthy Easy Dinner Recipes with Soba (Japanes...
The quick and easy way to prepare delicious soba noodles with five ingredients or less.
- Pumpkin & Potato Easy Lasagna Recipe
A mouth watering easy lasagne recipe layered with pumpkin, potato, pasta, meat and baked cheese.
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup - My Favourite Winter Warmer Rec...
A winter warmer - homemade creamy pumpkin soup recipe.
- My Favourite Gluten Free Pancake Recipe
Pancakes are quick and easy to prepare, and they are great for dinner. This is a recipe for making gluten free pancakes.
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls - A Healthy and Gluten Free ...
A quick and easy recipe for making delicious Vietnamese spring rolls served with dipping sauce.
- Soft & Moist Carrot Cake Recipe - It's Gluten Free &...
Carrot cake recipe for gluten free and dairy free diet requirements. This cake is so moist and delicious that nobody will even notice it is gluten free.
- My Best Recipe For Cooking Goat Meat Caldereta
Goat meat is easy to cook and taste really delicious and tender if the meat is cooked in the correct way. Here is an awesome goat meat caldereta recipe which has been a favourite dish in the family for many years.
- My Favourite Gluten Free Soft Bread Recipe
My favourite recipe for making gluten free bread ...
- Ways to Eat Tamarillos - Healthy Breakfast Tamarillo...
How to eat tamarillos with a simple and quick recipe for tamarillo omelette.
- Easy Healthy Watercress Soup Recipe
A recipe for watercress soup, it is full of healthy nutrients.
- How To Make Curry Puffs Recipe - Delicious Deep Frie...
Curry puffs are popular snacks in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They are not only delicious to eat but easy to make, too. Check out these curry puff recipes here.