- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How To Make Palm Sugar Pearls with Coconut Cambodian Khmer Recipe In Cambodia
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
This is a cherished desert from Southeast Asia in Cambodia! There is an old wive's tale that these are sometimes called "Husband Killer Cake" in the native Khmer Language. The rumor is that when a wife would catch her husband cheating she would act like she didn't know and would prepare this recipe for her husband.
The catch is that she would serve it right after cooking and although the outside had cooled off, the sugar inside continues to boil. What a horrible surprise when he swallowed the pearls whole and the outer layer dissolved releasing the hot inside! I better not agitate my wife!
This is just a rumor of coarse and I don't suggest anyone try this method of revenge!
This recipe is a great treat to serve to your family or friends. Why not serve this at your next Super Bowl Party! They are sure to be a hit and your friends and family will be amazed at your instant culinary skills!
Let's look at the Ingredients:
Palm Sugar Pearls with Coconut Ingredients
2 cups (300 g)
Just a Pinch!
Palm Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
1 cup (200 g)
*See recipe instructions below
Freshly Grated or Dried Unsweetened Coconut
Let's get started! This is an easy once. Let's continue with the recipe below:
Palm Sugar Pearls Recipe
- Combine the Rice Flour and Salt in a bowl and mix.
- Gradually add Warm Water and stir until the mixture has the consistency of modelling clay.
- Take a small lump of the mixture and spread it across your fingers to make a disc about 1 1/2 inches (3 cm) thick.
- Put a 1/2 teaspoon of the Sugar in the center and fold in the edges so that the Sugar is completely covered.
- Trim the excess pastry and roll the "pearl" in your palms to make a perfect ball.
- Repeat until all the pastry has been rolled.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and gently lower (don't drop!) the pastries into the pot.
- They are finished when they rise to the surface.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or Asian strainer.
- Allow to cool: The inside is very hot!
- When cooled, sprinkle the Grated Coconut over the pearls and serve!
Jong Yam! (I want to eat!)
More Cambodian Recipes by J.S.Matthew
- How To Make Cambodian Khmer Sweet Coconut Waffles
This recipe is a Southeast Asian Khmer Cambodian Recipe that was influenced by the French during the Colonial Period. Of course, as Cambodians always do, they made a recipe into their own using Coconuts which are native to the region!
- How To Make Homemade Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas
Ice Cream is a delicious treat but did you know that you can make it from home? That's right! This Hub Article will guide you through the steps to make Delicious Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas.
- How To Make Sweet Soybean Coconut Cake Desert Recipe
A Delicious Soybean Cake Recipe that makes a great companion to Homemade Coconut Ice Cream with Caramelized Bananas! Follow this recipe and be delighted by a Sweet Southeast Asian Cambodian Khmer Desert!
- About Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country. The Khmer Rouge killed millions of innocent people in this genocide. This article includes recent pictures that my wife took on her
- How To Make Asian Cambodian Pickled Vegetables In 24 Hours
Want to learn how to make Pickles in only 24 Hours? This recipe is easy to use and takes less than a half hour to prepare, but needs to sit overnight to marinate. Unlike most pickled vegetables recipes, this recipe does not require you to go through
- How To Make Honey Glazed Chicken: A Khmer Southeast Asian Recipe
Traditionally, this dish is cooked in an earthenware pot. These pots are usually hand-made in the Kampong Chang region. The pot is placed in a small barbecue to add a smoky flavor to the dish. The herbs and spices flavors are arroused by the content
- How To Make Healthy Cambodian Khmer Raw Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plate Recipe
Sick of the same old salad? Want a new Healthy Recipe? This Recipe combines Raw Vegetables and Fruit with a selection of Fine Herbs and Spices. It is also a healthy dish because of the Ingredients used.
- A List of Authentic Ingredients for Khmer Cambodian Food With Recipes
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is a great cultural significance and bonding ritual within many Asian communitie
- Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA: Photo Journey
The Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA is held on the third Saturday of August every year. This article is a display of the events through Original Photos (Are You in one of them?) and descriptions of the Festival's Vendors and Events...
- How To Make Green Mango, Chili Coriander, and Tamarind Asian Dipping Sauces
In the first article of this series, we explored the Basic Ingredients for Cooking Cambodian-Southeast Asian Food. One of the most common foods found in Cambodian, and many other Southeast Asian homes, that are easy to make and inexpensive, are Dippi
- 2 Quick Appetizer Recipes: How To Make Shrimp Fritters and Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger
Are you looking for quick, easy and delicious appetizer recipes? Then look no further! This article has 2 recipes: Shrimp Fritters and a recipe for Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger. The recipes come from Cambodia, Southeast Asia and were influenced by
- How To Make 3 Basic Cambodian Khmer Curry Dishes for Chicken, Seafood, or Meat and A Tangy Ham and V
One of the most enjoyed dishes in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, India and all over the world, is Curry. Curry has a very distinct aroma and taste. You can season Pork, Chicken, Beef, or Lamb with Curry, and these recipes are easy to make and don't take u
- How To Make Healthy Fresh Spring Salad Summer Rolls With Shrimp Rice Paper Recipe
Many Asian cultures eat Spring Rolls (often called Salad or Summer Rolls) but this recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia. You can add shrimp or omit it depending on your desired taste.
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.
- My Soul Mate Found Me! A Short Essay On Karma Love and My Beautiful Cambodian Wife!
A love story about 2 people who would have never met, except for a series of unfortunate events that brought them together. Dealing with failed relationships and surviving the Khmer Rouge, an ethnic cleansing regime in Cambodia's dark past.