How to make Puttu : Kerala Breakfast Recipe
Most favorite breakfast receipe of kerala
Puttu is one of the favorite recipes of Kerala. It is the favorite breakfast for us. Puttu is an easy made food and doesn’t require much work to be done. The usual combination is Puttu and Kadala (Brown Chickpea) Curry or Puttu, Payar (green gram curry) and pappadam (Pappad). If nothing is out there, we can have banana and sugar Or even black tea, to make it simpler
As usual, the main ingredient is rice itself. We prefer variety of rice products, for the whole day. Idle, Dosai, Puttu, Appam, Idiyappam etc. are some of the rice based food for breakfast. We can’t think about the mail meal of the day, without rice, it will be mostly plain rice and curry and at end of the day also we go with rice products.
How much will you rate this recipe
- 500gm Puttu Powder, Rice Powdered and Roasted
- To taste Salt, to be mixed with water for equal distribution
- 2-3 Cups Warm Water, To make the powder wet enough to be cooked
- 1 plate Coconut Scraping, scrapped using a coconut scrapper
Buy Puttu Maker Online
- Take a bowl of warm water and mix salt to taste.
- Take puttu powder in another bowl.
- Add salt water in small quantity to the puttu powder and mix it with spoon.
- Once it is wet enough, use your hands to make the wetness even to the mixture. Be sure not to make the mixture, too wet that it will become watery and of no use.
- Now using a coconut scrapper, get the coconuts scrapping.
- Use a pressure cooker, without the weight or a puttu pot, add some water and allow the steam to come with full force.
- Take the pressure puttu maker; add the filter in the bottom, so that you won’t lose the mixture through the bottom of the puttu maker.
- Now start filling the puttu maker with the puttu mixture and coconut scrapping, alternatively, starting with coconut scrapping in the bottom.
- When the steam is of full force, place the puttu maker, filled with mixture, on top of the pressure cooker or puttu pot, so that the steam passes through the mixture, via the hole at the bottom of the puttu maker. Now wait for 5 minutes to get the puttu cooked.
- Once the puttu is cooked, take the pressure puttu maker, out from the steam and using a stick, push the filter under the mixture carefully to get the cooked puttu, out into a plate, without breaking.
- Now the puttu is ready to be served.
Steps of puttu makingClick thumbnail to view full-size
Other recipes of Kerala
- How to make Kerala style Lemon Pickle ( Naranga Acha...
Lemon Pickle is one of the most favorite pickles of south India. Lemon Pickle is easy to make and can be kept for years. Lemon pickle is at its best, as it becomes old. Pickling is an ancient food- preservation technique. In Kerala, we name it as “Na
- How to make Palappam - traditional breakfast of Kera...
Palappam is the traditional breakfast of Kerala. It is one of the important dishes during the functions of traditional Suriyani Christians. It is made of ‘Pachari’ white rice. It is sometimes known as vellayappam. It is usually served along with coco
- Kerala Style Mango Pickle (Manga Achar) : Pickle Rec...
Kerala Mango Pickle or Manga Achar is one of the favorite and common pickle, mostly used daily in kerala. Mango Pickle is easier to prepare . It is so tastier, that we could try it with any food items
- Kerala Style Meat Cutlet recipe
Nowadays, Kerala people are more attracted to fried items and most of us prefer these, during our evening tea time. Cutlet is one among the favorite choices during evening time. In Christian wedding and Betrothal, cutlet is an inevitable presence. Ac
- Unniyappam : Kerala's popular snack recipe
Unniyappam is the popular snack of kerala. Unniyappam is a fluffy snack made out of rice, banana, jaggery, coconut bites and ghee. You may need Unniyappa chatti (vessel) to prepare the unniyappam.
- Yummy Marble Cake - Recipe from scratch
This is one of my favorite marble cake recipe. This is what I usually make during Christmas season. It's too tasty and my friends love tasting it.
- Chocolate cake recipe with frosting
Chocolate cake with frosting is the experimentation , I started with the simple recipe of black forest and later gave it a chocolate frosting and then experimented with icing ;)
- Homemade Grape Wine Recipe from Kerala
Wine is a symbol of celebration. At home, making wine, acknowledges us with the coming of Christmas. Grape wine is our specialty and my father is expert in making the same. Our wine is famous among our neighbors, relatives and friends. we don't add a
- Snake Gourd in Chilli Style Recipe : Padavalanga in ...
Let me share a new recipe using snake gourd. Snake gourd is otherwise known as padavalanga in Malayalam. This is an experimented dish made out of snake gourd, the recipe seen in a magazine, my version