Healthy and easy Potato tangy snack ( Aloo Tikki )
This recipe is also a famous street food in India like the puffed rice. To know the recipe of puffed rice, read http://dipsmi.hubpages.com/hub/Spicy-puffed-rice-Jhaal-Mudi.
This dish is a famous North Indian street food. You can pair it up with garbanzo beans or chole and it becomes an entirely different dish. This is one of the most easiest snack I have ever prepared and it uses very less oil. Though some prefer to deep fry it but I find it not so healthy.
My husband usually puts it between bread and eats it like a burger whereas I just love to eat it after dipping it in tomato ketchup. This dish is a favorite dish among all the kids I know. Whenever my friends drop in at my house with their kids, I am specially demanded for this dish by the kids!
Cooking time 15 minutes
- Potato 2- 3 medium sized.
- Chili as per taste
- Chili powder 1/ 4 tsp ( optional )
- Salt as per taste. My husband prefers a little bit of rock salt in this snack. You can also use it. Using of rock salt is optional.
- Coriander / Cilantro a bunch - chopped in small pieces. ( I used coriander powder 1/ 4 tsp because I cannot stand the smell of coriander leaves )
- Cumin powder 1/ 4 tsp
- Curry masala 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Chat Masala 1/4 tsp
- In case you do not have chat masala, use 1 tsp lime juice.
- Bread crumbs 1 cup (optional)
- Carrot 1 chopped in small pieces. (optional)
- Peas 1/4 cup (boiled) (optional)
- Ginger paste 1 tsp
- OIl 1-2 tsp
- Boil and peel the potatoes. Once they have cooled, mash the boiled potatoes and keep them in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together excepting the bread crumbs ( i.e, mix boiled potatoes, chili, red chili powder, chat masala, ginger paste, carrot pieces, peas, salt, coriander powder, cumin powder, curry masala). Do not add water.
- Make small balls of he mixture and then flatten them a bit. This shape is called tikki (cutlet)
- Now simply coat the cutlets in bread crumbs. I do not use bread crumbs in my recipe.
- Simply brush little oil in the tikki.
- Preheat the oven at 250 degree for 15 minutes
- Place the tikki in an oven safe dish.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and then turn the tikki (cutlet)
- Bake again for 10 minutes.
- In case you are cooking the potato snack at the stove top :-
- Heat a skillet and cook the potato balls at medium flame. Use a non stick pan. It is preferable.
- Cook till the side is golden brown, flip and cook the other side of the tikki (cutlet)
- Remove from the stove when they are golden brown.
- You can add a little more oil if you want.
- Serve this dish hot with tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.
How to make Aloo Tikki - Indian Appetizer Recipe
- different types of tasty and healthy rice recipes
Learn how to cook rice in different ways,easy and tasty recipes not to forget the nutritional value.
- Spicy, tasty Shrimp biryani or prawn biryani
Tasty Shrimp biryani
- Weekend special- spicy tasty mutton/ lamb curry
spicy lamb curry
- Coconut Chutney
Easy coconut chutney which is simple, quick and healthy. To be used a side dish.
- Sambhar Recipe
Sambhar is a famous South Indian dish. It is known as the most spiciest lentil soup. You can add any choice of vegetables in it and because of this factor, it is considered very healthy. Serves 2 Preparation time 15 - 20 minutes Cooking time 15...
- Easy,delicious and healthy Halva recipes-nutrient an...
US is a home away from home. As much as we love celebrating our Indian festivals here, we get the same pleasure when we celebrate the festivals those in US…Come October and my house gets busy gearing itself for the upcoming fests…my husband...
- Illish maach bengali style ( milk fish recipe)
Easy illish maach in mustard gravy
- Veggie rice quinoa baby food recipe ( khichdi recipe...
A healthy and nutritious food for toddlers. Mixed with the goodness of quinoa, kale , sweet potato and rice. Rich source of protein, iron and omega 3.