Sautéed Chayote in Chicken Stew.
This is a very good Filipino dish. It is easy to make and tasty to eat. This dish has been contributed to me by my very nice friend Ms. Marissa Buhalog. She is hard working lady and loves to cook. Usually she cooks very simple and easy dishes but are very tasty. This dish she cooked is again very tasty and healthy.
This is how she described and made her dish.
Chayote as what Filipinos call sayote is a vegetables that belong to gourd family. Surprisingly this vegetables is good for the heart for its high source of folate,a vitamin B which help prevent homocystein and a source of potassium which help lower blood pressure.
Chayote is found mostly in Americas but Spanish people took it from Mexico and started growing in Philippines and not it is easily available in our part of the world. This vegetable I started to eat because of the way it can be used and also for the numerous health benefits it has. It can be easily cut and stewed with any kind of meat ( chicken, pork, prawn or lamb.) It can also be eaten as raw or semi cooked so the possibilities with this vegetable are endless. I love its crunchy flesh texture. I use it mostly in salads but it can also be fried. Though we eat this in many forms but the recipe I am going to share here is the most common way we eat in Philippines.
1. 2 large chayote, peeled, halved lengthwise thinly sliced.
2. 250 grams chicken stew
3. 2 cups chopped fresh Chinese cabbage
4. 10 to 12 pieces. fresh chilli pepper leaves
5. 3 garlic cloves, chopped
6. 2 green onion, thinly sliced
7. 2 tablespoon butter
8. ½ cup water
9. 2 tablespoon soy sauce
10. 1 tablespoon salt
1. Take a large skillet with heavy base.
2. Melt the butter over the medium heat in the skillet.
3. Now add the onion, garlic, chicken with its stew in the butter.
4. Keep the heat on simmer.
5. When chicken is tender add chayote.
6. Now add soy sauce.
7. Cook till the chayote is tender and crisp.
8. Add Chinese Cabbage in the skillet.
9. Keeping the heat to simmer cook for another three minutes.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Transfer to a bowl or a serving dish.
12. Garnish with chilli pepper leaves.
13. Serve hot.
More Cooking Hubs
- Adobo Pork
I love about this adobo recipe, it’s so easy to prepare and easy to cook. In this rthe meat is thoroughly seasoned. A very simple &ordinary dish that can be cook anytime Pork adobo is my favorite
- Macaroni Vegetable Soup
Macaroni soup basically known to Pilipinos as “sopas” meaning soup.This menu is perfect for breakfast, or during cold rainy days and even when not feeling well. It is a good choice for light dinner
- Chicken, Avocado And Chipotle Soup Recipe
Soups are very important part of the food. They are usually used as appetizers but can be used by those who are on diet as soups usually are very healthy and have very less calories. Also since these days we usually put lots of fibrous ingredients in
- Chicken and Prawn Noodles in Coconut Broth Recipe.
This dish is from Indonesia. It is very tasty and healthy dish as all ingredients like chicken, prawns and coconut are very healthy and contains very less calories, yet rich in vitamins, calcium and minerals. Again like other dishes I posted here, th
- Chicken And Tarragon Soup Recipes
Another very healthy and tasty soup recipe. Children love this soup. Last time we had one of my nephew loved it and he is only 6.
- Chicken And Orange Salad Recipe
This is also known as Roast Chicken Salad with Orange Dressing. It is very easy to make. Takes only a few minutes to make and is very healthy. It has got right combination of meat, vegetables and fruits. It is very tasty and children would love to ea