jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Apples......

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I suddenly developed a yen for some home made apple butter...and I'm wondering what variety of apples would be the best to use?  It's been over 25 years since I made any, and I never had a real recipe...just seasoned it by taste, and no recollection of what kind of apples I had back then.

Thanks....

1. GoodLady profile image96
      GoodLadyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You would probably need a cooking apple like a Braeburn or a Fuji.  Have fun. 
      I understand the yearning for something apple because I used to live in Hereford and I could smell all the apple harvests cooking for cider near my house in Hereford, England. The cider making company was Bulmers.  All the fields around the city were apple orchards.  The tractors drove their crops into town with trailers piled high with apples.  Oh the lovely sweet smell in the air for weeks.  I miss it!
      The apples you don't really want to cook your apple butter with are the crispy ones like Gala

2. Ann1Az2 profile image69
      Ann1Az2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I always heard Granny Smith apples were the best for cooking. I understand you have to use quite a bit of sugar, though, because they're sour. But they have an excellent flavor. Apple pie made with them is wonderful.

2. kat_thurston profile image60
    kat_thurstonposted 5 years ago

I love making apple butter and homemade applesauce. We always make a yearly trip to our nearby apple orchard. Normally we will either use granny smith or red deiliscous apples for both the butter and the apple sauce.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

Thanks, everyone!  Off to the store!  ;-)

4. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

smile   apples, apples everywhere...boy, there are so many varieties to choose from nowadays.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
      DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My very "mostest favoritest"  (as my youngest used to say to emphasize a preference) apple for eating  is the Macintosh.  Yummmy...

1. Denise Handlon profile image91
        Denise Handlonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

mine too   smile

working