jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

when box asks for 3 eggs without indicating what size , would jumbo size be too

1. profile image43
    roseledesmaposted 7 years ago

when box asks for 3 eggs without indicating what size , would jumbo size be too much to add to...

one cake box mix

2. homegrowntexasgir profile image63
    homegrowntexasgirposted 7 years ago

When the recipe ask for 3 eggs they usually mean large eggs. When baking a cake size does matter and can mess up the cake here is a chart I found for you to convert egg sizes for recipes.

To substitute another size egg in your baking, check the following charts.

Size Equivalents
    LARGE JUMBO X-LARGE MEDIUM SMALL
    1              1            1               1         1
    2              2             2              2         3
    3              2             3              3         4
    4              3            4               5         5 
    5              4            4               6         7
    6              5            5               7         8

3. cluense profile image73
    cluenseposted 7 years ago

No, it will just come out moister. I use jumbo eggs all of the time because I love the extra moisture and tenderness of the baked product. It also stops dryness from being an issue. Hope that helps!

Cluense

4. Brupie profile image70
    Brupieposted 7 years ago

When egg size is not specified, you should assume large. 

The differences in sizes between eggs is 1/4 of an ounce with each step up.  Since jumbo eggs are two sizes up (large => extra large => Jumbo), you will be changing the recipe by adding an additional ounce and a half or 7-1/2 ounces instead of 6 ounces.

You may wind up with a moister batter, but it will be thicker, you may have trouble getting it to bake through and it may not have the airy quality you want.

5. lauralolita profile image87
    lauralolitaposted 7 years ago

Jumbo sized eggs are definitely going to make the texture of your cake different, slightly spongier, but they shouldn't effect the recipe too drastically. Hope that helps! Happy baking!

working