jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is Chorizo unhealthy? Why or why not?

1. Pagelift profile image61
    Pageliftposted 7 years ago

Is Chorizo unhealthy? Why or why not?

2. danthehandyman profile image74
    danthehandymanposted 7 years ago

I have several relatives who eat Chorizo (spelled Chourico in Portuguese) as a diet staple and are quite healthy. Like any sausage, it contains some degree of fat. Linguica, a related Portuguese sausage, but not quite as spicy, is made from the same ingredients. You may want to contact a manufacturer for specific nutritional information. Living in the mid-east, I am not able to buy quality Chorizo or Chourico locally. The versions I can find are greasy, oily, and don’t taste like they are good for you. Quality Chourico and Linguica is great for sandwiches, omelets, and in spaghetti sauce. My favorite brand is Gaspers, from New Bedford, Massachusetts. They make a very lean sausage (not greasy) and even offer a turkey-based product, and they sell on-line! Here’s their website: http://www.gasparssausage.com/ourproducts.html
    If you like Portuguese foods, Gasper's also sells Sweet Bread. If you are unfamiliar, sweet bread is similar to Hawaiian bread, since it was brought to the islands by Portuguese sailors in the 1700’s. It is slightly heavier and sweeter than Hawaiian bread.

3. ChristopherMorgan profile image59
    ChristopherMorganposted 7 years ago

Well, nothing in the Earth is healthy for you besides fruits and veggies. I would just eat it in moderation.

4. Pam Pounds profile image78
    Pam Poundsposted 6 years ago

A healthy version of chorizo is called "soyrizo".  You can find it in the refrigerated area of the grocery store.  Tastes like the real thing without any grease.

5. LaniK profile image60
    LaniKposted 6 years ago

I think it's a question of moderation.  If you're frying up a link to eat by yourself, then yes.  However, if you let it out of it's casing and fry it up with a bunch of potatoes and onions, not so much.  Once in awhile, perhaps.  It's a wonderful flavor!