This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why does eating spicy food make your nose runny?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 7 years ago

Why does eating spicy food make your nose runny?

This happens to me all the time. Whenever I eat spicy food, my nose gets all runny, and it's really annoying.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

My nose runs a bit no matter what I eat, so it's some sort of stimulation of chewing. But spices and radiant heat stimulate the mouth and sinuses and probably cause the phenomenon.

Spices and foods like onion, peppers, and garlic are very healthy for humans, because they can fight viruses by filling vulnerable areas of the body's cells when viruses attach with their oils. Older people sometimes have trouble digesting them,. though.

3. BaliMermaid profile image56
    BaliMermaidposted 6 years ago

From my experience in Asia I would say if your nose is runny when eating any food, especially spicy food, it most likely has MSG in the food ingredients.

A runny nose is one of the tip off signs that MSG Mono-sodium Glutamate is in your food.

So to answer your question; YES my nose gets runny when  I eat spicy food that has MSG in the recipe or is part of the production of an item in the recipe.

4. Dexter Yarbrough profile image82
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 6 years ago

Eating spicy foods gets your creative juices flowing. All of the germs and viruses are being forced out to make way for positive thoughts and occurrences!

working