jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does coffee dehydrate you? What do you do to compensate this?

1. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

Does coffee dehydrate you? What do you do to compensate this?

2. Kris Heeter profile image79
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

The caffeine in coffee can cause dehydration.  Drinking decaffeinated coffee would be the easiest solution.  If that's not an option, then drinking water in addition to coffee might be the next logical choice.

3. nicregi profile image75
    nicregiposted 6 years ago

Water is the solution here. 1 coffee = 2 water. That's my motto. Just pump some water daily and you should be fine

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Caffeine is a diuretic so yes, drinking coffee or any caffeinated beverages can dehydrate you.  Compensate by drinking lots of fresh water.

5. kerlynb profile image90
    kerlynbposted 6 years ago

It can so I opt for decaf coffee.  When that is not possible, I drink lots of water while and after drinking coffee.

6. TwoCooks profile image58
    TwoCooksposted 6 years ago

I believe that it used to be thought that the caffiene in coffee acted as a diuretic, which makes you go to the bathroom more often. Now, though, there has been research that only in large amounts does caffiene act as a mild diuretic. In fact, they suggest that coffee hydrates you instead of dehydrates unless you drink too much of it. Drinking alot of water is always a good thing for you no matter what else you drink, but if you are dehydrated you need to drink more water than usual. I actually heard that once you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

working