jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Can drinking herbal tea dehydrate your body?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years ago

Can drinking herbal tea dehydrate your body?

I drink a lot of mint tea. Does drinking tea dehydrate your body?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8495856_f260.jpg

2. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

It really is dependent on how much your drinking. Too much of anything is bad for you. if the tea is caffeinated, it will act as a diuretic, meaning it expels water through your urine. Herbal teas normally do not have caffeine, and drinking it, coffee (non-caffeinated), juice etc, would actually count towards your daily consumption of water, thus actually hydrating you just as water would.

3. Craeft profile image81
    Craeftposted 4 years ago

It very much depends on what kind of tea.
    Caffeine is the main issue in tea leaves. However, there are other stringent herbs that are diuretics.
    Just... as an EXTREME example, there is a medicinal herbal tea made out of belladonna nightshade (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! NO ONE DO THIS!) for certain neurological issues. As I'm sure you're aware, that is extremely dehydrating.
    I assume you're not drinking that, but I'm using it as an extreme example that there are more herbs out there than just those with caffeine that will dehydrate.
    If you're talking chamomile, no... it is not a diuretic.

Also, most mints are not necessarily diuretics which is why I usually recommend various mint species for teas for cold (catnip, peppermint, lemon balm, chocolate mint, etc). But what other herbs do you usually (if ever) put into the teas?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't add herbs.  Usually, I drink mint tea.  Sounds like it shouldn't be diuretic.

2. Craeft profile image81
      Craeftposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you're using the pouches (as pictured), just take a peek. A lot of the herbal teas still use tea leaves and herb combinations. If it's just straight peppermint, then you're probably good to go.
      Of course if in doubt, have a glass of water. smile

4. Alphapx profile image69
    Alphapxposted 4 years ago

I heard some herbal tea are bad if taken too much. The bitterness of such may be the cause of dehydration.

working