jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Has anyone tried the "stevia" based sweeteners? Any good? Any problems?

1. plussize-lingerie profile image60
    plussize-lingerieposted 6 years ago

Has anyone tried the "stevia" based sweeteners? Any good? Any problems?

Apparently this new natural sweetener is going to arrive here in the UK shops on Friday, but it's been out in the US for a while. Anyone know if it tastes OK, or if there are any side effects? Is it OK to add to coffee, and is it any good to cook with (which they say it is)?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5832029_f260.jpg

2. Dewette profile image60
    Dewetteposted 6 years ago

I personally haven`t tried it but my mother-in-law has. It`s much sweeter than regular sugar so adjust accordingly. I`ve heard it`s good tasting though.

3. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 6 years ago

I've been using powdered stevia for the past two years, ever since I realized that sucralose (brand name Splenda tm)  is NOT a natural product, but one that has been tampered with chemically. I use stevia to sweeten coffee, tea and even cook with it. More and more products that contain stevia are being introduced in the U.S.

I've experienced no problems with stevia or any side effects, which is not true with other non-sugar sweetners (such as aspartame, which can cause headaches and memory loss). If you're accustomed to beverages and foods sweetened with sugar, it may take a bit of adjustment to the taste for you, but since I have avoided sugar for years (it makes me lethargic), I didn't notice any "off" taste or aftertaste at all.

I hope you enjoy stevia. The package will probably give you instructions about how much to use. If not, try a search engine that compares the amount of stevia that creates the same sweetening level as sugar. Good luck!

4. emichael profile image79
    emichaelposted 6 years ago

Everyone has said Stevia doesn't have a strange taste like other sweeteners, but I definitely notice that "sugar-free" taste. I don't like it at all hmm

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I like it for a substitute for sugar, except in cooking sometimes. No physical problems and side effects, as in Splenda for me.

6. noturningback profile image77
    noturningbackposted 6 years ago

Bitter aftertaste, similar to that of saccharin, but not too bad if you need a substitute.

working