jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Is there a type of food in your Country, that makes kids grow taller?

1. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 6 years ago

Is there a type of food in your Country, that makes kids grow taller?

I heard that beans promotes growth in height. Maybe it's a superstition...

2. chamilj profile image61
    chamiljposted 6 years ago

I am in Sri Lanka and never heard that type of food. smile

3. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Yes we have a food called 'So... You Want To Be a Big Boy?'  It is made by monks who are all over seven feet tall and play Basketball.  It states that it is made from GM Corn and rolled in GM Peanuts, so in some ways it is not so popular.. but still for those who want their kids to play Basketball or become a Ladderman  in the Fire Dept.. this food is very popular!

4. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 6 years ago

I believe I read an article that was stating that growth is linked to protein. For instance, here in America we have an abundance of protein. Drinking milk is also a big catalyst as this is a protein. There was a stat I found, something like Americans eat more then 400% of their recommended protein intake, and even vegetarians eat more protein then they need. Which is another reason why here in america we have LARGE EVERYTHING, and in places like the Philippines, who have very little protein have little everything.

5. hillymillydee profile image61
    hillymillydeeposted 6 years ago

It is hard for me to answer that because in my home country most of us are short lol! We are rice eaters

6. lemmyC profile image82
    lemmyCposted 6 years ago

Well, I just received the question from my email and was ruminating the particular food in my country that will be attributed to making people grow taller. Coincidentally, my mind was on beans. They say that when you eat beans you'll grow taller.I don't think it superstition. The scientific evidence could be based on the fact that beans is rich in protein as well as complex carbohydrates. When it is cooked these macro- molecules (big molecules) - proteins and carbohydrates; are broken down to their relative simpler derivatives - amino acids and simple carbohydrates, which are then made available to the body for nutrition. It's also rich in fibers to aid digestion.
    In most places the beans is very dry after cooking and creates the need for people to drink a lot of water which they will not do ordinarily. These indicators could be pointers to why for what people could observe physically that beans makes people grow taller. In most places where it is the main source of staple food rich in protein this claim could be believable.

7. toys-everywhere profile image60
    toys-everywhereposted 6 years ago

Yes... Hormonal cows and chickens!! LOL. Seriously, you should see some of these kids out here,  they look like they've been tossed onto a taffy puller.

8. MummyDearest profile image45
    MummyDearestposted 6 years ago

Interesting that you mentioned beans because I remember my grandmother used to feed my younger brother with 'long beans'. He was a lot shorter than most around his age when he was around 10years old and my parents were concerned. Today, I'd say my brother is just of average height but he is the tallest in my family (parents and me). So one would wonder if it worked or not? I think he is 5ft 9in tall.

I suppose even if it was only a myth..no harm in eating beans non the less.

9. NatvarPatel profile image59
    NatvarPatelposted 6 years ago

You are partly right about beans. Growing children need protein laden foods as their body is building up various systems (skeletal, respiratory, digestive, nervous, etc, ). The first use of such foods is to satisfy requirement for all round growth.

Coming to height, ensure that the kids indulge in activities that promote or stimulate "lengthening" of bones. This may sound weird. But see that they do a lot of swimming (after which they will be very hungry), bicycling with the seat slightly raised (legs will have to be stretched to paddle the bicycle), etc.

Think of activities that will keep them busy and out of doors.
    Hope this helps. All the best

10. Sivaram Asokan profile image56
    Sivaram Asokanposted 6 years ago

it is not required to have certain food so as to grow tall. If you focus on diet and physical exercise that will make you to grow tall.

11. Aaron_Perks profile image76
    Aaron_Perksposted 6 years ago

I'm 6ft 6 and I live in England. Throughout my childhood I used to eat a lot of green vegetables, I was one weird child. I also ate quite a lot for my age but just managed to grow rather than put weight on. I also did quite a lot of sport, I was constantly with a football, or basketball, swimming, bike rides, if you can get something from that then I hope i've helped.

12. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

Here in the U.S., we generally have a high protein diet. Oh, scratch that, we have a high-calorie diet that also consists of hormone-injected, chemical-laced, non-organic meat filled with antibiotics and other stuff to be named later.  That "stuff" is making a lot of people in this country "grow," but more sideways than vertical, if ya know what I mean...

13. CHRIS57 profile image60
    CHRIS57posted 6 years ago

It is not necessarily food that makes people grow taller. While cerainly a sufficient and balanced diet does its thing, there is more to it.
    I think most important is that food is provided regularly from infant stage on. May be the human body memorizes that, relaxes and allowes himself to grow a little taller. There is so much in our genes from old times that constrains development to minimun needs.
    I live in Northern Germany. Here and in near by Netherlands people grow tall. My youngest son is 6ft at the age of 14 and he is not the tallest in his class. Even my grandchildren seem to be taller than expected.

working