jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you bother to look at ingredients before you buy things at the grocery store?

1. KimmiS profile image55
    KimmiSposted 6 years ago

Do you bother to look at ingredients before you buy things at the grocery store?

If you do, are there ingredients that will prevent you from buying?

2. pstraubie48 profile image86
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

if you mean, do i read the names of all of those preservatives and chemicals in the can, actually, yes, i do.
    my family members are highly sensitive to foods and chemcial additives so i have had to learn to read them carefully.

3. Claudia Tello profile image78
    Claudia Telloposted 6 years ago

Absolutely yes! I do read the ingredients of every packaged food I buy. I always look for trans fat or hydrogenated fat (which are absolutely banned from my diet), as well as added sugar in things like sauces, bread, dressings, peanut butter, jams, etc where it shouldn’t be. If it has one of these undesirable ingredients I do not buy the product.

4. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Wanting to know more about what I eat, I started reading labels when I became interested in cooking some time ago. It was an eye opener. Almost all processed, packaged foods sold in the supermarkets, and quite a few of those sold as "fresh," have things in or on them you don't want in you, or rather things I don't want in me.

5. BlissfulWriter profile image64
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

The healthiest foods are the ones without packaging or labels. These are the fruits and vegetables, the lean meats and seafood. It is always better to eat whole natural foods rather than processed foods. It is the processed foods that comes in... read more

6. Melissa Althen profile image94
    Melissa Althenposted 6 years ago

Absolutely.  As a food technologist I know exactly what I do and don't want to eat.  I work with those ingredients on a daily basis.  Artificial colors are my biggest dislike.

7. Mercia Collins profile image70
    Mercia Collinsposted 6 years ago

always, I will not buy anything containing hyrogenated fats, recovered meat, artificial colours, or anything with lots of chemicals. I don't buy ready meals, or ready made sauces or reay made cakes or biscuits.

working