jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is it best to grow herbs indoors or outside?

1. nmdonders profile image84
    nmdondersposted 4 years ago

Is it best to grow herbs indoors or outside?

2. faythef profile image59
    faythefposted 4 years ago

I seem to have better luck with them outdoors., although I believe it is because my indoor lighting is not all that great

3. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 4 years ago

It depends on your climate and which herbs you are growing. A lot of them originate from warm sunny countries, so if you live in a very cold damp climate then they may be better off indoors.
    However, the perennial shrubby herbs, such as sage, rosemary, lavender etc will probably do much better in the ground outdoors where they can grow unrestricted.
    Smaller and annual herbs are more suitable for growing indoors - I nearly always have a pot of basil on my kitchen windowsill as it seems to do better there. When growing indoors you have the added bonus of being able to extend the growing season. Here in England I usually bring a pot of mint indoors to bring it on early in time to go with the new potatoes out of the garden.
    The disadvantage of growing indoors is the restriction of pots on the size of the plants, and also that they need more care than outdoor plants in the ground.

4. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 4 years ago

It is probably best to grow all plants outside.  There are no plants that have a natural indoor habitat.  Although in moving plants to a different enviroment may require them to be sheltered at certain times of the year.

5. liesl5858 profile image85
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

You can grow herbs indoors and outdoors but it depends on the kind of herbs, space and also on the weather. For me, I grow my herbs outside like the mint, Rosemary, chives, and laurel because I don't have much space indoors. Basil and parsley can be grown in doors on the window sill.

6. Rosie writes profile image87
    Rosie writesposted 4 years ago

Where I live, herbs grow better outside.  However, I don't have any windows in my house that provide sunlight for several hours of the day, which is what they would need.  A house with a sunroom or lots of windows providing several hours of sunlight daily, would be the thing that would make it work indoors I believe.

7. Kevin Peter profile image71
    Kevin Peterposted 4 years ago

Herbs are best grown outside. It needs a lot of sunshine and water.

8. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Thyme and  Rosemary grows lite weeds here outside all year round. Parsley on the other hand grows best inside.  It gets too hot here in the summer Interior valley of California for parsley..  Actually it's too hot here right now  93 degrees today.