jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

What is the most unusual thing you have eaten and did you like it?

1. LauraGT profile image92
    LauraGTposted 6 years ago

What is the most unusual thing you have eaten and did you like it?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I think the most unusual thing I've ever eaten was Alligator jerkey...and NO, I did NOT like it at all.

It was very greasy, and ....if I remember correctly, I gave the rest of it to a very  appreciative dog!!!!

I'm told that alligator tail isn't bad, and I've seen it on the menu in some really nice restaurants that wouldn't serve anything that wasn't pretty awesome...so I do intend to try alligator again some day.

3. LauraGT profile image92
    LauraGTposted 6 years ago

The most unusual thing I've eat was fried sparrow.  It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly whether I liked it, but I do remember thinking it was very crunchy!

4. Judi Bee profile image95
    Judi Beeposted 6 years ago

Tete de veau - I ordered it as a teenager on a holiday in France.  I can read French perfectly well, so can't imagine why I was so surprised, and nauseated, when a calf's head was put in front of me.  I managed one mouthful.  I don't remember what it tasted like, I just know I don't like my food looking back at me.

5. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 6 years ago

Recently I got into eating avocado's, but for many years I never liked it, now that I know how beneficial they are to me, and for my blood stream I'll eat them in a heart beat. My diet and my health is on the way to recovery, I been suffering for many years with acid reflux or gastritis, and come to think of it I just discovered that its related to causing many diseases, such as cancer and diabetes, and so this health break through of eating organic green foods has been a miracle to me.

6. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 6 years ago

Three food items come immediately to mind from my days in the Foreign Service: (1) Kangaroo Tail Soup. Verdict: tasty, good, similar to ox tail soup according to my Dad to whom I had given it as a Christmas present in order to finally give him a gift he couldn't guess.  He got the soup part right, but try as he might the idea of Kangaroo Tail Soup never entered his mind.  Dad 998, Me 1 (finally.)  (2) Raw Chopped Duck Salad. Verdict: tolerable, in a diplomatic way of speaking (until my interpreter leaned over and cautioned me "You have to be careful of this.  It can make you very sick."  And, (3) Ant Soup.  Verdict: not bad, also in a diplomatic way of speaking (the more standard one being "Interesting. Very interesting." It is, however, a little disconcerting to see all those rather large, reddish brown ants floating motionless on the top of one's "delicacy" bowl of hot soup!

7. moonfairy profile image82
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I've eaten octopus, just once. I couldn't really get beyond the suction cups.
    It was more tender than I expected and didn't really have much flavor. I wouldn't eat it again.

8. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 6 years ago

while vacationing in the bahamas, i tried conch soup. it was so spicy i can't tell you how the actual shellfish tasted. maybe that's a good thing. i don't know.

in HS biology class, our teacher introduced us to seaweed (salty, crispy, dry), fried beetles (taste like peanuts) and some game meats like snake and buffalo. i'm not as adventurous any more, but i thank mr. mershimer for livening up class,

9. sgbrown profile image96
    sgbrownposted 6 years ago

My uncle was a butcher and cooked some beef tongue, it was baked, not bad. Mountain Oysters...(Bulls testicles), my sister-in-law sliced and fried them, they were actually very good. Rattlesnake, it was fried, tastes just like chicken! smile We were invited to a dinner with some Chineese friends for their Chineese New Year. I ate jellyfish, I couldn't tell you how it was cooked.  It was crunchy and really pretty nasty. I won't be eating that again.

10. jimmar profile image94
    jimmarposted 6 years ago

Dried earthworm! Brought to our church when I was a kid, by a missionary from Ethiopia. He "claimed" it was a staple in that country. It tasted like rotten dirt.

11. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 6 years ago

Guinea pig is a delicacy in Peru and although it may sound repulsive to eat an animal many keep as a pet, it can be quite delicious. In the South guinea pig is fried and in the mountains it's stuffed with bitter green herbs and roasted until golden brown, tender and juicy. I won't even go into the unusual meals I didn't like! :   )

12. stephhicks68 profile image85
    stephhicks68posted 6 years ago

Ugh - I am not adventurous when it comes to eating, at all.  So, for me, eating an oyster was pretty unusual. 

But as far as exotic, I've tried ostrich.  While you might think that it tastes like chicken, smile .... it actually is more like red meat.

13. profile image0
    Stressbustposted 6 years ago

The most unusual thing I've eaten would be frogs legs. Although I've heard a lot of people have eaten them so I guess it's not that unusual. But I did like them though, I thought it tasted just like chicken

14. Chuck profile image89
    Chuckposted 6 years ago

The question I am responding to with this Hub is What is the most unusual thing you have eaten and did you like it?  Actually the most unusual and exotic meal I have sat down and eaten was a plate of stewed iguana at a place called the Bar and Grill... read more