jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If many hands make light work, how come too many cooks spoil the broth?

1. petenali profile image86
    petenaliposted 6 years ago

If many hands make light work, how come too many cooks spoil the broth?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Simple:  The ego gets in the way.

Every cook wishes their own vision for the dish to manifest itself from the work.

3. agusfanani profile image81
    agusfananiposted 6 years ago

Ha ha ha You ask a smart question. I think many hands make light work is true as long as those hands are clean because if one of them is dirty then that will spoil the broth. I hope it answers your question.

4. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

Each cook goes around and seasons the broth with their preference of seasonings and it has too much seasoning to be edible.

5. Leroyworld profile image61
    Leroyworldposted 6 years ago

You only need one person to make broth.  It's just that no one want to clean up afterwards which is where many hands would be useful.

6. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

its not the number of hands that can hurt a dish, but the number of different ideas of what belongs in the dish.

7. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I am reminded of the social experiment long ago in which rats were placed in a box. When the critical "one too many" rat goes into the box, the society in the box crashes - Some rats viciously attack others and fights break out, some go to sleep in avoidance, some groom themselves until they are bald, some die in stress, and some begin vomiting and other actions. One too many sets of hands brings one too many agendas, ingredients and ideas to the production and the end product is ruined. Before that threshold was reached, the task was easy.  It reminds me of a painting we did in junior high - everyone in class added their own contribution and the picture became one large brown-gray thing like a badly-mixed wall paint.