jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever had a sneaky taste of dog chocolate?

1. Silver Fish profile image85
    Silver Fishposted 5 years ago

Have you ever had a sneaky taste of dog chocolate?

2. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

What is dog chocolate? Do they make "chocolate" treats for dogs?

3. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

I have, but let me also say that I buy treats and food for my dog which are fit for human consumption in the first place.

The few "dog chocolate" treats that I have seen are made from carob, an edible legume in the pea family. It's commonly used in vegan food as a substitute for chocolate (which contains milk...a vegan no-no) because of its sweetness.

I wouldn't say that the treats for dogs tasted like chocolate though a few smelled similar to chocolate. Of course, most dog treats smell great but taste like cardboard--not surprising as dogs have a far superior sense of smell to us but lack taste buds.

Victoria Lynn, your answer would make a good question in it's own right!

4. Insane Mundane profile image60
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

I would never consider eating dog food, albeit I have seen, believe it or not, "dog ice cream treats" in the frozen food section that looked decent; LOL!

5. Amber Allen profile image66
    Amber Allenposted 5 years ago

Not knowingly but I do know someone who has tried eating dog biscuits. 

Although I'm sure that that dog chocolate (and biscuits) are plenty good enough for us to eat, the thought of eating dog food just doesn't appeal to me.

6. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

Ha!  I didn't know they made dog chocolate.  I thought it was poison for dogs...  Even though I've never really eaten meat, I remember staying at my cousin's house and eating a piece of dog food on a dare.  (Crunchy powdery not very tasty).  I was about seven years old.

7. rocknrollcowboy profile image72
    rocknrollcowboyposted 5 years ago

I didn't know they made dog chocolate but I know that when my son was about 4yrs old when I'd give the dog some treats, he'd sneak some and said they were good. Since then, he has always done this, until the dog passed away a couple yrs ago. He's now 11 and we were talking about it yesterday and he still says he really did like them. I've heard others say the same. I'm not brave enough to try though!!