jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are the different "oils" used for in cooking?

1. cclitgirl profile image96
    cclitgirlposted 5 years ago

What are the different "oils" used for in cooking?

When is the best time to use olive oil, canola oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc?

2. thejeffriestube profile image73
    thejeffriestubeposted 5 years ago

While I do not have the exact figures handy, the term "smoke point" is applicable to using oil for frying. An oil with too low of a smoke point should not be used over high heat, as cooking with it will not produce good results, and could be just very dangerous.

3. scottcgruber profile image80
    scottcgruberposted 5 years ago

I use olive oil probably 90% of the time, when cooking anything remotely Mediterranean: Italian, Spanish, Moroccan, Cuban, Lebanese, etc. For Asian cooking or deep-frying I'll use canola.

1. teaches12345 profile image94
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Olive oil is my fist choice, but will also use grapeseed  oil as well.  I love the flavor it gives Mediterranean dishes.

4. Cassandra Goduti profile image60
    Cassandra Godutiposted 5 years ago

I use safflower oil, canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, light olive oil and sesame oil.

5. PhiMaths ATB profile image61
    PhiMaths ATBposted 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure that peanut/groundnut oil is best for stir-frying because it can withstand very high temperatures; sesame oil will give you a good depth of flavor, especially in asian food; extra virgin olive oil shout not be heated -use medium; and canola/rape seed is a pretty standard oil for frying. as for any others, I don't know.

I will note that when I have it, I often substitute ghee for vegetable/ olive oil, it has a great taste, and a wonderful smell.

working