jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Can I use canola oil to make hummus?

1. theframjak profile image91
    theframjakposted 5 years ago

Can I use canola oil to make hummus?

I love hummus and most recipes call for olive oil.  I was wondering if anyone has used any other oils such as canola and how it turned out.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7766846_f260.jpg

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

You can use canola oil, but the flavor won't be as good. Canola is pretty tasteless.

If you don't want to use oil at all, you can use tahini (sesame butter) which has some sesame oil in it.

3. celafoe profile image59
    celafoeposted 5 years ago

nothing matches olive oil for heath or taste.   you should never eat soy, canola and many other oils.   Stick with oo its worth the difference  even if you have to buy cheaper ones

1. theframjak profile image91
      theframjakposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The reason I ask is that I find oo has a waxy aftertaste that I find displeasing. I also thought canola was one of the better super market choices since  it is high in monounsaturated fats?

2. celafoe profile image59
      celafoeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

it is ok for frying, i will not use it ,I use sunflower oil, but you should not eat it.   Try sunflower oil it has almost no taste and is light

3. MikeNV profile image81
      MikeNVposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Canola = Canada Oil.  Pure Garbage.  Genetically Modified RAPE SEED oil.  Works good as an industrial lubricant though.

4. celafoe profile image59
      celafoeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i forgot about one other good one you might try  avocado oil

5. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually, organic or expeller- pressed coconut oil (not hydrogenated), is also excellent. It's health properties are similar to olive oil, only better. The expeller-pressed has little taste. The organic gives a Thai flavor to foods, raw or cooked.

4. MikeNV profile image81
    MikeNVposted 5 years ago

Why would you want to it's made from Genetically Modified RAPE SEED.  It's pure garbage.  There is not such thing as a "Canola Plant".

Canola Oil however does work great in your paper shredder to keep it lubricated and working properly.

5. Carla Polins profile image60
    Carla Polinsposted 6 months ago

I am a nutritionist as well as a self-proclaimed health nut. Bottom line is if you're going to make hummus please please please use olive oil if you can't afford the extra virgin olive oil any kind of olive oil would be great and you must use fresh garlic you can incorporate some powder and some other forms of garlic but you have to have some fresh garlic and make sure you add some fresh lemon juice and then of course your tahini butter and then whatever. My mother and I have just eaten some hummus from the store tribebrand will usually get Sahara and why we're watching Anthony Bourdain eating fresh foodt from Singapore and what a disappointment with a canola oil. You're also not going to get the health benefits from the canola oil the whole point of eating hummus is for the health benefits. Plus it tastes amazing. I hope this helps. Sincerely dr. Carla polins

working