jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we eat unhealthy these days?

1. Jennifer Madison profile image89
    Jennifer Madisonposted 5 years ago

Why do we eat unhealthy these days?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I would say availability.  In our house we vow to eat better, then we are both tired at the end of the day, no one wants to cook so we call Pizza Hut. It is just so easy to slip into a drive through, or call up for delivery--and with just two of us now, it is fairly affordable.  Not a good thing though, I know.

3. talfonso profile image83
    talfonsoposted 5 years ago

Remember the old cliche, "Unhealthy is cheaper?" To prove this, I recently played the computer game "Spent." (Look up "spent poverty game" on your search engine and you'll see what I mean.) It made me play the role of somebody who has lost her job and has to work minimum wage while keeping a $1000 budget in a month.

One challenge in the game was buying something when I forgot my lunch. I have to either buy a $6 dollar salad or that burger from the "dollar menu," I obviously chose the latter, remembering my role as somebody who is one of the working poor. The results say that low-income workers are likely to become overweight or obese. I knew that even before playing that game.

So, there's one of the reasons why we eat unhealthy. It's often cheaper. I'd rather start a home-based business and grow my own food than get a low-paying job with fast food meals!

4. avonladybug232 profile image61
    avonladybug232posted 5 years ago

It could be that burger king delivers now.

5. Jennifer Madison profile image89
    Jennifer Madisonposted 5 years ago

then again an unhealthy lifestyle is more expensive in the long run. High blood sugar levels from eating too much sugar can lead to diabetes in the end and be so much more expensive than just sticking to health food

6. Efficient Admin profile image92
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

It is just easier and quicker to pick up some Take-Out on the way home, or to pick up already prepared food at the grocery store, you know the area near the Deli; and prepackaged food which is already cooked (or just needs 20 minutes to cook) is a lot more expensive than preparing a meal from scratch.