What is the best home brewing kit?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

What is the best home brewing kit?

I think I'd like to try making my own beer sometime.  I have absolutely no idea how to go about it though.  I know home brewing kits and supplies can be purchased in stores and online.

If you've used a home brewing kit, how did you like it?  Were you happy with the product?  Was it easy to learn to use?  Do you recommend one?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6818088_f260.jpg

2. justom profile image58
    justomposted 11 years ago

Mr. Shaw, I can't tell you which one is best but one of the main things is good hops. Years ago I made beer, wine and even root beer and the hardest part of any of them was waiting for them to be drinkable. I will say it's WAY cheaper and the brew is a lot stronger so the buzz is killer. Do it man, it's a good thing!!

Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hell yeah, Tom!!!!!!!!!

I have to do it.  Nobody can afford my daily beer consumption these days!!!!!!

Where does one get really good hops?

2. justom profile image58
      justomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to check that out for you Todd, I got mine locally from a guy who won awards for his brew but I think he died. When you buy the stuff  don't be fooled into spending big $. The main thing with the vessel etc. is sterilization. Let me know whe

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Yeah, I'm not ready to buy now.  I can get one from my amazon earnings if I want to, but I'm not ready right now.

I'm going to do it though, and the cheaper ones would likely be the best place to start...If I understand right, it's the ingredients!

4. justom profile image58
      justomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shit Todd I think Justin got one a couple of years ago and never used it. I'll check it out when I talk to him later. If he ain't gonna' do it and still has it (the kit) I'll get it and send it to you. I forgot he even had one :-P

5. Brandon E Newman profile image62
      Brandon E Newmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The question is do you want to do all-grain, or an extract brew. If you will not be mashing grain, all you need is a big pot, caps,capper, and a glass carboy.(and ingredients of course!) Start collecting bottles now- the ones that do not twist off.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Hell Yeah Tom!!!!!!  I'd sure appreciate it, but only if he ain't interested, you know!

7. Perry the Cat profile image61
      Perry the Catposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know, the monks were the first to make beer.  You might visit a monastary.

8. alancaster149 profile image74
      alancaster149posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too bad if the monastery's Dominican. You'd get the thumbscrew treatment from them(- might as well quiz the CIA on foreign policy)!Try www.ehow.com>Food & Drink

9. Perry the Cat profile image61

Hey, at least they're not Jesuits... wow, talk about hell on wheels...

3. Brandon E Newman profile image62
    Brandon E Newmanposted 11 years ago

Go to homebrew headquarters Richardson TX, on Coit rd. They will answer any questions you have and put together an amazing kit. Have in mind what style of beer you want to brew when you go. Ales are easier. Lager styles must be strictly controlled temp-wise. 50-55 degrees is the temp needed for lager fermentation, and aging.(you will need a modified freezer for that in this Texas heat)Go for an ALE.

Hey Brandon, I had no idea there was a place like that in Richardson.

Yes, it is certainly the wrong time of year for making Lagers in Texas!!!!

4. Perry the Cat profile image61
    Perry the Catposted 11 years ago

Mom and I made peach wine one time.  We added extra sugar so it would be sweet. It was really good.  Then we made watermelon wine.  It was so strong that the only person who could drink it was a Crazy Cajun friend and he sucked it down like it was swamp water.  Then we made peach wine again, but it turned, so mom bottled it and gave it away as Aunt Katie's Peach Wine and Douche Vinegar.  Sadly, after that she never tried again. 

Were I to brew anything, I'd make a real McCoy Still complete with the copper coils and corn mash.  Alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water you see, so you have to watch it carefully.  You also have to beware of revenuers.  But it's cheap and easy to build. Just use the stuff lying around the trailer.

I'm a Hvac dude...so copper tubbing and brazing are no problem for me...

My daily four 24 oz cans is just getting too dang expensive!

I'm going to do this.  ...I don't know how soon, but I'm going to! Lots of pear trees here,pear wine sounds good!

2. Perry the Cat profile image61

Well wine is the easiest, I think.  Good wine, however, is a matter of opinion.  Once we made root beer.  That's not too hard.  Once I drank Birch Beer.  I'll never do that again!

3. Brandon E Newman profile image62
      Brandon E Newmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To make wine out of anything but grapes you have to use sulphite. It's an anti-browning, anti-vinegar preservative. They have the tablets at HBHQ. The dose is 2 tabs per gallon juice, 1 tab per gallon fermented must.It absorbs oxygen.(camden tablets)

5. alancaster149 profile image74
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

Here it is, Wes: the definitive answer to the home-brewer's prayers -
    www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk ;

www.homebrewtalk.com ;

www.burghley-homebrew.com
    .- 30 years in the home brew retail trade, ph 01733 810259. On the site are
    * Spirits and liqueurs,
    * Bins and barrels,
    * Equipment,
    * Ancillaries,
    * Mashing,
    * Chemicals,
    * Information, contacts, links.
    It's all here for you, let's see you start off the Wesman Todd-Shaw Texas (WTST) Micro-brewery to eventually rival that lot in Milwaukee! (What made Milwaukee Famous Made a Millionaire out of me, excuse the paraphrasing)!
    Bags I first exported bottle!

1. Perry the Cat profile image61

Brandon:  I used Camden Tablets, a commercial anti fungal that keeps wine from browning or turning to vinegar.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Thanks Alan!  Nice resource links!!!!!!!!

3. alancaster149 profile image74
      alancaster149posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You never know, we might see the WTS brand at Wetherspoon's over here during one of their Real Ale Festivals. I'll look out for it!

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Heck Yeah, Alan!!!!!!!!

I'd sure be telling everyone about it were I to come up with something unique that I couldn't do without!!!!!!!!

6. profile image50
    beerbrewerposted 10 years ago

I purchased a home brew kit for my son in early June from a company called www.theamericanhomebrewer.com. The wife and I searched long and hard to find this little gold mine and I must admit their prices are in fact the lowest we could find. Apparently not a very big company and rarely show up on Google but, if you can find them they are and excellent resource. We compared their kits to many others and they did provide more bang for the buck. Plus, they offered flat rate shipping which was a nice little savings for us. We've used them 3 times now for miscellaneous supplies, malts and hops. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 ยข worth!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)