What food do you prepare in a slow cooker?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Janis Goad profile image74
    Janis Goadposted 11 years ago

What food do you prepare in a slow cooker?

2. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

All sorts of things. Slow cookers are dedicated braising appliances, so you can do anything in them you'd do low and slow on the stove or in the oven. With the right technique and recipe, you can even bake bread in one.

The last dish I did in a slow cooker was last week, lamb shops in wine and stock with potatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic and herbs. I still have some to eat up as leftovers.

Janis Goadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lamb chops sounds excellent!  I am new to my slow cooker and figuring out what works well.  I will try your suggestion.

3. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

I make broths in my slow cooker and a ragout for pasta and a stew too.  I cook cuts of meat slowly to make them tender and sweeter to taste.

I like the tenderness of every cut of meet I have cooked in the slow cooker.

4. Trish303 profile image72
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

I make all kinds of things but what i make the most is Marinara Sauce or roast.

5. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

Pulled pork with barbecue sauce for pulled pork sandwiches.
    Italian roast beef with veggies.
    I usually just get a two or three pound piece of meat and coat it with seasoning, a small amount of water and let it cook all day. It's great!

6. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Hi Janis,
    Slow cookers are wonderful!  I use mine for pot roast, beef stew, chili, lentil and bean soups, and chicken. I  still always braise my beef before adding it.
    - cat

7. fitmom profile image74
    fitmomposted 11 years ago

Lately, I've been buying a big turkey breast and putting it in the slow cooker to have sandwich meat for my husband's lunches. It's much healthier and yummier than buying deli meat for sandwiches!

I need to start doing more meals in it. I just haven't gotten to that point yet. It would definitely make dinner time much easier if I did.

1. wilderness29 profile image61
      wilderness29posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The turkey breast is a great idea!

8. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 11 years ago

I buy cookbooks and surf the web for ideas and I've done a variety of things in it. One of my favorites was pepper steak that I let cook all day and get tender.I I also did lasagna.  Most recently, I've done pears. They came from someone's tree and too tough to eat raw so I cut them up and added seasoning to them and they came out very tasty.

Lasagne!  I never thought of that.  Have to try it.

2. profile image60
      ElleBeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lasagne in the crock pot sounds good! I saw a recipe the other day for spaghetti squash lasagna in a crock pot - looked amazing!

9. Mark McClean profile image61
    Mark McCleanposted 11 years ago

Oh man, love a good stew in the crock pot. Leave it in the crock pot until it's gone and keep reheating it up. It's even better the next day. Ya know, now that I think about it most of what I make in the crock pot doesn't have a name. But that's the beauty of crock pot cooking. Heap in the meat and vegetables, maybe a couple of bullion cubes and let her do her slow cooking magic. I think I might dust mine off tonight.

Dust if off!!  Mine hardly gets dry when I am filling it up again.  Tonight we are eating turkey, though--not in the crock pot.

10. profile image60
    ElleBeeposted 11 years ago

I don't use mine very often, but next week I'm planning to make what my uncle calls "Hawaiian Music" --- kielbasa, baked beans, and pineapple. Easy and inexpensive meal for a potluck.

11. Backwater Sage profile image57
    Backwater Sageposted 11 years ago

Short ribs, venison, and pork. I like to grill it for awhile to sear it for some good flavor.

For my vegan friends, grill those potatoes and other veggies a bit and then toss them in the slowcooker for some awesome soup. Cook the potatoes and carrots a good bit before adding the squash, eggplant or other softies that will get over cooked if you do it all at once. Use Florida Everglades ("green" no msg) seasoning and some Spike if you are like me (lazy cook).

I don't know those seasonings, Backwater Sage--what is in Florida Everglades seasoning, and Spike?

2. Backwater Sage profile image57
      Backwater Sageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess you could Google them. They're good. Check out "Dat'l Do It" hot sauce while you're at it (original recipe, not Devil Drops, etc.) It's made from Dattle peppers and is the best oyster sauce ever.  I'll share some Florida recipes soon.

12. Emily89 profile image60
    Emily89posted 11 years ago

Well if you cook really slow or slow you will cook Pasta or rice really easly , thats my opinion

13. kyawnaing profile image54
    kyawnaingposted 11 years ago

Why most of people try to hide the truth ?

1. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid I don't follow. What is this hidden truth about slow cookers?

2. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello kyawnaing. Welcome to HubPages.  I see that you are new here. This forum is about cooking. Visit the Learning Center to see how to post your topic in the forum discusions or to ask a question. smile

3. Backwater Sage profile image57
      Backwater Sageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They don't have the courage of their convictions or the patience to wait for a good meal.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)