jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

What would happen if I used the wrong flour?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

What would happen if I used the wrong flour?

I bought cake flour and bread flour from the bulk food store. I forgot to mark on the bag which was which. Is  there a visual way to tell which is which and how would it affect bread or a cake if I use the wrong one?

2. keljelbel profile image59
    keljelbelposted 5 years ago

There is a way to tell the difference between the two flours. If you feel both of the flours between your fingertips, the cake flour will have a softer texture/ feel to it.  Cake flour does not have the gluten content like bread flour so it make a softer product. (The gluten in flour provides structure to baked items.) You can use them interchangeably, But keep in mind that the bread flour will make a more stiffer cake and the cake flour will make a softer structure bread.

1. MicheleFrazier profile image81
      MicheleFrazierposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, what keljelbel said. That's it. It's easy to tell.

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
      Just Ask Susanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Good move, Susan!!   No shopping stars for you.  This would be a very typical "Paula" thing........only worse and more often, I'm sure.  It's so nice to have company.smile
    If I were you.....and of course, we may be more alike than you'd wish......I'd so back to the store with the flour and my receipt....and check the flours in the bins....If you can't tell the difference, I'd plead my case to the manager and see if he'd be kind enough to give you 2 new bags......just be sweet!.....UP+++

Paula, That would be a great idea except I bought the flours at different times .. but I think I'll try the flour feel test that Keljelbel suggested. If I still can't figure it out then I'll take the flour back and ask the bulk store to help me. TY

4. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I had to laugh when I read your question! So what? I read recipes all the time telling me that I have to use a certain flour to make bread, cake, etc. Guess what? We only have one flour available. You can use a sifter on regular flour to make "cake flour", use it without sifting to make "bread flour". Its all good!

Thanks DrMark, Life would be easier if there was only one kind of flour here.

5. ahorseback profile image76
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Susan ,  I used the wrong flower along time ago, once !  I was trying to cheer up a woman friend I had  and gave her roses ! Seriouusly !  Then she told me " you idiot  ! Roses are for lovers !" ..........and so  there you have an answer !........:-}

smile Well you put a smile on my face. Thank you!

6. Lipnancy profile image93
    Lipnancyposted 5 years ago

I am a bread maker. And my husband came home with the wrong flour. So I decided to make it anyway and I have  to say that it works and tastes the same.

That's good to know. I won't hesitate using it then. Thanks.

working