What gluten-free flours are good substitutes to wheat for making bread?

1. Naima Manal profile image73
    Naima Manalposted 6 years ago

What gluten-free flours are good substitutes to wheat for making bread?

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

If you want to use a prepackaged "all purpose" gluten free flour I prefer the Gluten Free Pantry brand name over Bob's Red Mill for taste, texture and consistency.  Bob's Red Mill is ok - but it is heavy with bean flour which has a bit of an aftertaste that takes some getting used to.  I also find it is "drier" and my baked goods don't hold together as well. 

If you want to make your own blend you can use rice flour, potato starch, and corn starch in a blend and that usually works well.  You'll want to add a bit of Xanthan gum to most of your baked goods to get them to hold together well (but it in bulk it's much less expensive)

Some will say "oat flour" - this really depends.  If you have Celiac disease you need to avoid Oats as they are almost always contaminated with wheat gluten unless the oats or oat flour specifically say "gluten free"  I've done a couple of gluten free hubs and have a website dedicated to eating gluten free that may help you also.

3. eye say profile image81
    eye sayposted 6 years ago

I use spelt flour, it's an ancient grain;
    you need a bit more than regular flour, a coupe extra tablespoons usually does it ... It tastes great and is a light bread not too heavy.

working