jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Is there a particular food that you either love or hate due to a childhood exper

1. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 5 years ago

Is there a particular food that you either love or hate due to a childhood experience?

Often our relationship with certain foods developed from events that occurred in our childhood. For example did you learn to love cold lemonade whilst sitting in a porch swing at your grandmother's house.
    Or perhaps you were made to sit at the dinner table until you ate every last brussel sprout on your plate and hence despise them now.
    Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net and Marcus

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7838332_f260.jpg

2. rebeccamealey profile image85
    rebeccamealeyposted 5 years ago

I bit into a shiny, red pepper once as a kid. My parents told me it was hot, but I did not understand the concept of hot as in peppers. I took a big old bite. Now I am shy of eating hot peppers.

Blond Logicposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, ouch. What a painful lesson to learn.
      Thanks for your answer.

3. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

I've never eaten pilchards since being violently ill ater eating some as a child. I didn't even like the taste on the way down....

I must say I wasn't a big fan until I went to my mother-in-laws house and she made sandwiches with them. Thick bread, even thicker layer of butter and pilchards. All washed down with a mug of tea. Thanks for bringing back, a good memory for me!

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not one food. But I hate other foods touching each other, sharing juices. It irritates me because I like to enjoy one thing at a time. My husband hates broccoli because his father told him he was eating baby trees. The only way I can get him to eat broccoli is by coating them in cheese or grilling them.

I think many people don't like their food lumped together on a plate.  To be fair, broccoli does look like little trees. I have never tried to grill broccoli! Thanks for answering.

5. vespawoolf profile image96
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

When summertime rolls around, I'm always on the lookout for juicy, sweet peaches. When I was a child, my parents took us to an orchard where we picked bushels of peaches. All summer we enjoyed peaches and ice cream, peach pancake topping, peaches and oatmeal, etc. I never forgot those peaches and it seems nothing matches up to my memory of them!

On the other hand, my husband abhors any kind of squash. It's because his mother grew a small garden one year when he was growing up and it produced tons of squash. She made an overcooked squash casserole which had the texture of "slimy mush" (his description).

So I agree, childhood events definitely form our opinion of foods!

6. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Polish Sausage.  I cannot eat it to this day.  When I was a child and had the flu, this is what my mom offered me one day.  Not a good choice since I ended up tossing it back up.

Oh dear! My son had the same experience with spaghetti and meatballs. Even now, anytime I see a plateful, those memories come rushing back. Thanks for your answer.

7. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

I have never eaten blood sausage and never will eat. LOL When I was little, my grandpa used to make them, so many times I watched him mixing blood and rice/bread, etc. Not a nice experience.

In the UK I had Black pudding. It seemed quite dry. I can't say I will rush to have it again. For a kid to watch it, I could see why that would put you off, unless you're a vampire! :-)

working