jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Are onions good for you?

1. To Start Again profile image80
    To Start Againposted 4 years ago

Are onions good for you?

My husband and I eat a lot of onions in our meals and I just wondered if there are any health benefits to them and if certain types of onions are better than others. We eat mostly white onions.

2. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

Yes, onions are very good for you. Here is a link to some interesting info. I just found it myself:  http://www.organicfacts.net/health-bene … onion.html

To Start Againposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

3. bethperry profile image93
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

I've always heard onions contain a lot of potassium and are good for cleansing the blood. So I would think the answer is yes. But even if they weren't, I still love the taste of them!

me too, Beth! We eat them on everything lol

4. nanette bette profile image60
    nanette betteposted 4 years ago

if I'm right I think I need help prevent cancer

That would be nice!

5. Firdousia Sudheer profile image60
    Firdousia Sudheerposted 4 years ago

The phytochemicals in onions improve the working of Vitamin C in the body, thus gifting you with improved immunity.
    Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
    For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
    Do you enjoy sliced onions with your food? If yes, rejoice! Raw onion encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
    A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
    Got bitten by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
    Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
    Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so do use them often.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/8-grea … z2VLyokq6Y

6. Codebreak profile image76
    Codebreakposted 4 years ago

I love onions and ate lots of it but had to stop it turns out I'm allergic to them and Garlic I swell up. I miss my onions....

sad that stinks. My cousin is also allergic to garlic but can still have the fake powdered stuff. Could you eat the powdered onion seasoning?

2. Codebreak profile image76
      Codebreakposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I do sometimes and is not too bad but not the same I bought this indian spice that gives the onion garlic flavor but stinks like crazy.

working