jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Do you think potato bread would make good French toast?

1. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Do you think potato bread would make good French toast?

Potato bread is denser than a piece of wheat, rye or white bread.  Today I ate a strange lunch combo of potato bread, chunky peanut butter, apricot jam, and a dash of cinnamon.  It actually tasted quite good.  I think I might try potato bread next time we make French toast.

2. Just Ask Susan profile image91
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

I think it would make great French toast. I'd make sure to soak it in the egg mixture really well. Let us know how it turns out.

CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  It's so dense, I can just envision it absorbing all that gooey syrup.

2. Cardisa profile image91
      Cardisaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ooooh, I love French toast. Now I'm hungry!

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Just did that the other day when I ran out of the "mandatory healthy" wheat bread that I feel I should always buy and eat. But this "French bread" that I got because it was dirt cheap had a sour dough taste and I made egg white French toast with it, putting cinnamon in the "batter" and it was really good!

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I wonder if it would be good with stuffing like apples or bananas.  The wheels are turning now!

4. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 4 years ago

Definitely! I love potato bread. If I don't use that for french toast, I use cinnamon bread. Now I want to make some.

I know, it's contagious!  The deliciousness of it.

5. chefsref profile image80
    chefsrefposted 4 years ago

Hey Crafty
    YES! But a denser bread will take longer to absorb the batter. You could try this:
    The night before you want to eat your French toast; Find a baking dish just big to hold the bread placed side by side.
    Make your egg batter, maybe flavor the eggs with an extract or liqueur and soak the bread overnight.
    Your imagination is the only limit, strawberry extract  and fresh strawberries, melon liqueur and melon balls etc and , don't worry about extra batter, it should soak into the bread overnight.
    In the morning bake the pan of french toast at about  375 to 400 degrees.
    It should puff up a bit like a souffle,and when it has browned it is done.
    I have a more detailed recipe in my breakfast cereal Hub

Wow Chef!  Now I'm going to have to make French Toast this weekend.  Thank you, thank you!

6. bravewarrior profile image91
    bravewarriorposted 4 years ago

My son loves potato bread.  He uses it for everything from grilled cheese to pb&j to French toast.  He likes Texas toast for French toast, too.  Frankly, I prefer pumpernickel bread to anything when I eat bread.

Brave, pumpernickel is my favorite ever since I was a child!

working