How many of you grow your own food?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. thomasczech profile image45
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

How many of you grow your own food?

With the rising cost of groceries, it certainly is a good idea to grow your own. What are your personal experiences? How do you grow them? Please give ideas, hints etc

2. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8431449_f260.jpg

I'm a farm girl, growing up on a large scale home farm in the Northeast USA.  My grandfather had multiple gardens.  My grandmother canned and froze everything so even through bad weather we ate fresh produce all year.

While I do not have a farm today, I have a pot-belly pig.  We compost all veggie scraps and use those to fertilize the garden every year.  We grow all kinds of veggies.  I have had much success with lettuce, bush grean beans, pinto beans, squash, pumpkin, tomatoes.  Not so much with corn.  My grandfather could grow fields of it, but not me.  Also sugar snap peas are easy to grow, but it takes a lot of room to grow an amount worth it. 

I also grow blueberries.  We have 4 apple trees which are babies so no blossoms yet.  We have wild raspberries, blackberries, and wineberries.

We've had a lot of luck with butternut squash and it stores well through winter months also.

thomasczechposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment as well

3. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 10 years ago

I now have a slight interest in growing our own vegetables, green peppers, aubergines, tomatoes,onions, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, are our best available at the moment and really enjoy having our own fresh vegetables  In the summer the ground is prepared for planting with some gardening products like some chicken manure  added to the soil  not too much a it would burn the plants for better produce we  buy seedlings and plant a few of each kind of vegetable, water daily and watch it grow.

4. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years ago

I grow some of my own food. I grow tomatoes, squash, zucchini, okra, cucumbers, strawberries, and an assortment of herbs yearly. I love the taste of fresh vegetables and fruit and there is nothing like the satisfaction of reaping what you sow. I have fruit trees planted but they are still young and not producing yet but I really look forward to the day I get to harvest from them! I also occasionally grow corn and potatoes as well. I've found that gardening produces not only food but a sense of pride. It also helps me relieve stress and anxiety, very therapeutic! smile

5. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I grow several things yearly.  We do straw bale gardens and that is a very inexpensive and easy way to grow organically.  If you google the term you'll see a lot of info on it. They are quite simple.

I won't use pesticides/herbicides and organic food in the stores is outrageous so we grow what we can.

6. stricktlydating profile image85
    stricktlydatingposted 10 years ago

Yes, I'm in Australia and I try to grow all of my own fruit. I have only a small yard, but grow over 10 different fruits. I buy the miniture version of fruit trees where possible and they still produce enough fruit so that I'm in abundance all year round. For example I have a miniture banana plant which produces several hundred bananas each year; a Toffy Apple tree which fruits from the main trunk and takes up little space in the yard at all. Miniture peach tree. Grapes growing in barrels and so many berry trees, bushes and citrus I keep well pruned. It's very achievable to grow a small orchard of plants in a small yard and I find it reasonably low maintence. I started by replacing flower plants with fruit producing plants with the desire to save money by having an edible garden!

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 years ago

Do I grow my own food?  No.  I live on my family's property, and my mother does the most of that work.  I contribute by rounding up the compost, and putting it into the garden...by compost I do mean cow poop from our pasture, and lots and lots and lots more leaves from the oak trees, etc.

What grows wherever it is you live is probably not what grows so well here where I live.  Where I live things like yellow squash, zucchini, jalapenos, and such grow wonderfully....tomatoes are often what we want, but birds are forever a problem.  Potatoes do well enough, but they grow rather small...small potatoes are, however, much easier to cook time wise.  Wherever it is you live and whatever it is which grows well there, you need to think about the compost you feed your soil with.  Make it natural, Sir, and make it diverse.

8. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

We grow something to eat every year, some years more, others less.  Maintaining the veggie garden spot by composting from our kitchen is a huge help to our soil.  Green beans is one veggie we try to grow every year. We prefer to store them in the freezer rather than can them.

9. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 10 years ago

I grow some of the vegetables that I like to eat like tomatoes, pak choi or pechay, potatoes, carrots, spring onions, runner beans and any type of beans, peas, cucumbers, and many more. You don't have to have a big garden to grow these vegetables, you can grow them in big pots or containers or through. If you are just beginning to grow your own vegetable garden, it is better to start with container gardening and experiment which vegetables grow in your area. I got some hubs about growing some vegetables that I like if you want to have a read. Making your own compost to use for your plants is also good by saving all your food scraps and garden weeds, leaves and leaves from your trees and hedges. Saving rain water to water your plants as well by investing in a rain barrel or water butt.

thomasczechposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment.

10. thomasczech profile image45
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

So many great comments, thank you all. I take all advice I can get. I also watched a film called "Back to Eden" I found on the internet. It was filled with good advice, but based in California I think. But I am sure I can use some of the info as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)