jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Why do I get cravings for cola?

1. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Why do I get cravings for cola?

I don't drink much soda pop and in general can take it or leave it. But every now and then -two or thee times a year- I absolutely CRAVE a cola soda pop (no clear soda pops will do, and no diet colas as I avoid and detest artificial sweeteners). Any clues why this is?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

If you'd asked that question thirty years or so back I could easily answer it: the 'Secret Ingredient.'  Coca Cola had one from the day they started manufacture and half the world were hooked on it.  Then along came the Government Regulator and made them change the formula.  Why? Well why do you think it was called 'Coca' Cola.   The secret incredient, I am informed was cocaine...albeit small quanties, and was we know, cocaine is highly addictive.

Maybe now you're just hooked on the sugar content.  But I must admit it.  I do like the very occassional cola.   Sorry I can't help you as to specifically why.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I actually knew about the history, and thank goodness I am too young to have ever tried the original, lol. It could be the sugar content, perhaps. Thanks!

3. The Examiner-1 profile image76
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

First off, it probably is a craving for sugar. You can find sugar other places and other ways. (I replaced it with molasses and honey.)
    Second may be chocolate. Partly due to flavor of Coke and partly due to the color - if you do want chocolate that is.
    Third, do you want it practically each time that you see the commercial? That is the 'hypnotism' of their ad. You have to overcome that.

No, commercials don't do it for me. And the craving is so rare, really, I am usually just a water or juice drinker. But when it does come upon me, it is rather overwhelming.

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 3 years ago

All the reasons include effective advertising, questionable (um, maybe interesting is a kinder word) ingredients, and just liking something fizzy (some people do not) could all be part of the craving.  I am particularly fond of old-fashioned Coke and I like some of the other products okay, but after doing some reading up on them I now see all of those products through new eyes.  I fight my craving by reminding myself that the stuff is a slow poison.

Something fizzy..you might have something there. Fizzy, along with the caffeine, perhaps?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image76
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

If it is the caffeine then you can drink coffee which is healthy for you (at a proper balance). You can get fizzy water and add flavor to it (citrus juice, etc.).

3. bethperry profile image91

Maybe...but what a shame there is no fizzy coffee!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image76

Here is a recipe for making it yourself:
      http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bubbly-Coffee-Drink

5. bethperry profile image91

Oh my! Thank you!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image76

No problem, you are welcome. :-)

7. RTalloni profile image88
      RTalloniposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh whoa -- fizzy coffee.  I may be in troubleā€¦ wink

8. The Examiner-1 profile image76

Why RT? Is it not good for you?

5. RGNestle profile image82
    RGNestleposted 3 years ago

Sugar is addictive. It's why McDonald's puts it on their fries. Not only does it make them turn  golden brown, but it makes the body crave them more.

Also, there are ingredients considered to have "no effect" or to be in "trivial amount" so as to not be listed in food ( https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde … 404AAIM7Aj ). Sadly, some of these things are also addictive and make the body want the food even when full. Cola is a prime example of addictive additives (sugar, caffeine, high fructose corn syrup, and any number of unlisted ingredients).

No on should drink cola or other beverages of their kind on any kind of regular basis. Just four colas in one day and you have reached your caloric intake limit for a whole day and have taken in no nutrients hardly at all.

Even diet colas are no good since the-excito toxins (artificial  sweeteners) can cause cravings for food since no nutrients are being taken in and the body wants them since it feels that it is basically starving. (Like drinking nothing but coffee (a diuretic)--you may be taking in fluids, but will soon become so dehydrated that your body will start to have any  number of problems since it is losing more fluids than the coffee can give it.

Always best to check the label and steer clear of as many man-made ingredients as possible.

working