What's your favourite gluten free food, recipe or meal?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

What's your favourite gluten free food, recipe or meal?

Do you have to eat gluten free food because of an allergic reaction? Intolerance to gluten is on the increase with many suffering from upsetting symptoms when they eat gluten rich food. Do you have to lose taste and texture because of being limited in your food choice?

1. Georgina Fraser profile image60
      Georgina Fraserposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There are plenty of gluten free recipes that are actually my favorite. I really like Harvest Quinoa pasta and try soy flour pancakes as well because of their extraordinary deliciousness. Sometimes, I also try homemade pasta. I further dig into how to get into ketosis with recipes as I am also conscious about my diet and follow my coach instructions in this regards.

2. profile image0
    Aaron Jackposted 8 years ago

Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta with any flavor of Newman's Own sauce, they are both gluten free and they are really good, even though the pasta is from a box. I would love to make gluten free homemade pasta, but not sure how to.

chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the answer, will have to look into Quinoa.

3. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

There are many different flours you can use as a substitute and different ones create different textures, have different moisture levels etc.  If you want something that tastes like the original try soy flour pancakes - they are fantastic.  (most gluten free breads and sweets suck, but there is a great recipe for paleo bread that is moist and delicious also)

Pancakes
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/4 cup soy flour
    * 1/3 cup sour cream
    * 1 tsp baking powder
    * 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    * dash salt (if desired)
    1 & 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil in liquid form
    1 Tbsp ground flaxseed

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then blend the wet ingredients together and add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together gently until mixed.  Then just cook as you would normal pancakes... absolutely delicious.  I find using the baking powder with just a bit of extra cream of tartar gives a nice rise to them, more than just BP alone

The bread recipe I use is from a Paleo site.  Do it just as she wrote it there is no need for modifications at all and it's the most delicious gluten free bread I've ever eaten and it's easy to make.

http://paleogrubs.com/sandwich-bread-recipe

Great recipe thank you. I shall check out this website for more info.

4. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

I don't eat gluten free food for any reason other than that a particular product, food item, or recipe is delicious in its own right. I do, however, think humans eat far too much wheat. Eating lots of wheat is a great strategy to avoid starvation when refrigeration or other food preservation techniques don't exist and other foods are hard to come by. But it's by no means an ideal diet for people living with modern preservation techniques with plenty of other foods available.

My current favorite gluten free recipe is one of my own - http://kylyssa.hubpages.com/hub/flaxsee … ers-recipe

I recently added "Gluten Free" to the title because a friend suggested it. The crackers are just coincidentally free of gluten. My friend's idea was a good one because its views have risen since the addition. You may wish to give it a try on your recipes that naturally don't have gluten in them. Heck, I have a vegan grilled asparagus recipe hub that really doesn't need to be labeled vegan but people search for things that way; they look for vegan recipes or gluten free recipes rather than just looking for recipes made of things that naturally fit whichever sort they're looking for.

I think people find their gluten free diets boring or unsatisfying because they seek out things labeled as gluten free rather than focusing on things people eat regularly that naturally don't have gluten in them. My diet growing up wasn't wheat-heavy because I grew up on a farm. We ate vegetables, fruits, legumes, meats, and fish most of the time and never missed wheat the days it didn't show up in our diet.

Thank you for the link, great recipe. It seems that many of us get hooked on the refined wheaty products and find it difficult to adjust when allergies set in.

5. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 8 years ago

I'm not necessarily allergic to gluten, but decided to drop it when I had digestion problems after my near-death experience and enzymes were missing from my system. I do have a paternal aunt who has trouble with gluten.

Undoubtedly my favorite gluten-free food is the raw, organically grown apple.

Recently I've been reading that it's not the gluten that's the problem, but the genetically engineered wheat. Interesting because GMOs have only become used within the decade or so (I believe). In Edgar Cayce readings, wheat was contraindicated for at least one individual who exhibited autistic symptoms, though autism was not a term used at that time. Promoters of the gluten-not-a-problem idea espouse einkorn, wheat in its original form.

Gluten-free bread is hard to make, even when using xanthan gum, but I have to chuckle at the word "limited" because besides wheat, oat, rye, barley and spelt there are many gluten-free grains, namely buckwheat, sorghum, millet, rice, corn, quinoa, and amaranth. (I didn't even get into the bean flours on the market.) I make flat bread when I want a meal with bread.

I made a really good macaroni and vegetable salad not too long ago. Rice macaroni was the main ingredient, along with my chopped green pepper, tomato, fresh peas, diced onion, and, as I recall, some cucumber. The real topper was the white dill sauce I made to make the ingredients hum. The sauce was soy-flour based, and soy milk was added to the flour. It's a great sweet-sauer sauce with a little vinegar and a sweetener (I used stevia). I ate the salad at room temperature, but it's great chilled.

Thank you for asking!

Thanks Marie, interesting to hear your take on gluten free foods. Where would we be without apples!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

Making breakfast. It is the largest meal and I have old-fashioned oatmeal, hard-boild egg, crackers w/PB & jam and green tea.

A nourishing breakfast - eggs are so important. Thank you for the answer.

7. Ayeshafarid profile image61
    Ayeshafaridposted 8 years ago

My favorite is gluten free fried chicken. Check out my recipe
    http://ayeshafarid.hubpages.com/hub/Hea … ecipe-Desi

8. alisafrost profile image61
    alisafrostposted 3 years ago

A Few weeks ago I found a recipe which really surprised me. It was a recipe of gluten-free pumpkin bread. When I first time tried this bread I was shocked a lot, the taste of this was something special but aftertaste is perfect. I recommend you try to make it at home.
    Link of recipe:
    https://recipes.cafe/en/Gluten-Free-Pum … ing-Bakers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)