jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)

What special ingredient do you put in your homemade chili con carne recipe?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

What special ingredient do you put in your homemade chili con carne recipe?

I like Italian sausage in mine. Sometimes I use the spicy sausage and other times the mild.

Photo credit, Wikipedia Creative Commons by Carstor.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12492052_f260.jpg

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

As a vegetarian, I don't make chili con carne; I make chili con CORNY.  ;-)  I add corn.  wink  And I make a spicy pilaf from bulgar wheat to substitute for the meat.

Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting recipe, MsLizzy. It is not chili con carne, though. I think I would like the corn, but not the bulgar wheat. Thanks for commenting.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
      DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the wheat is very mild, and takes on whatever flavors you add with spices, etc.  The texture ends up much like crumbled ground beef.  In fact, I also use this mix in my enchiladas; people don't believe they're vegetarian!

3. dorbledog profile image75
    dorbledogposted 2 years ago

Instead of ground beef, I use shredded beef. It takes longer to cook, but it's well worth the time.

Hi dorbledog. I bet it is good with shredded beef. Thanks for commenting.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

I top it with a dollop of sour cream. Makes it a real treat!

That sounds good, Kathleen. Thanks.

5. gerrywalker profile image68
    gerrywalkerposted 2 years ago

Mushrooms! . In fact i use baby bellas and call it Bella Chili.
    I started this when I was married and my husband didn't like chili beans, so I substituted mushrooms. They are a little chewy and of course take on the flavor of the sauce; since i'm alone now I use both beans and mushrooms for a delicious chili.  You can use canned mushrooms but I do prefer the fresh ones.

I love bella mushrooms, but never tried them in chili. I bet it is good.

6. Rachel L Alba profile image95
    Rachel L Albaposted 2 years ago

I used to use just plain chopped tomatoes.  But I found that a jar of salsa adds so much more flavor.  Also just one tablespoon of white vinegar and lots of chili powder.

Sounds like a great chili, Rachel.  The salsa and extra chili sauce must really perk it up. Thanks.

7. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

We have our own special brand of chili powder. If the store is out of that particular brand, we don't make chili until we can buy some more. I used to add Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves until my husband let me know he didn't like it.

Hi MizB. A favorite brand really makes a difference. I  also stick with the brand I like. Thanks for commenting.

8. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

I'm vegan, so my chili has no carne, but it does contain pumpkin, which makes it rich and thick. Also, just a touch of cinnamon, mixed in with more traditional chili spices like cumin and red chili powder.

OMGosh, Lisa - I never heard of anyone using pumpkin in their chili recipe. I bet it does give it a nice thick texture. And a touch of cinnamon probably adds a subtle mystery to the taste. Thanks for commenting.

9. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

I use ground ancho chilis instead of chili powder. Meat is boneless beef chuck. I also use masa to thicken it.  I don't put beans in. Then there are the assortments of typical spices/herbs, garlic, onions, tomatoes, etc.

My gosh that sounds so good. Beef chuck has such a great flavor and I bet the masa adds more flavor also. I will have to try this recipe. Thanks Old-Empresario.

2. Old-Empresario profile image82
      Old-Empresarioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Got the recipe from epicurious,com and it's amazing. During the time it's simmering before you chill it and add the masa, you can taste it. You may want to just eat it as-is without the masa and tomato paste. My favorite!

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image97

Awesome.!  Thank you so much.

10. hubsy profile image82
    hubsyposted 2 years ago

I like to add cocoa powder and cinnamon, it sounds weird but goes so well with meat, especially if you use dark cocoa.

Wow - I never heard of anyone using cocoa powder in their chili recipe. Thanks for answering, hubsy.

Closed to reply

working