You are what you eat

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (85 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image66
    ceciliabeltranposted 14 years ago

What we eat affects not only how our bodies look but also how we think. Certain chemicals affect our brains and so it affects our choices and our choices make us who we are.

So does that mean that if you're a meat-eater,you're more predatory socially? Does being a vegetarian make you a docile creature.

Any thoughts?

1. Obscure Divine profile image61
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm highly omnivorous and I'm far from finicky, so I often think about everything.  But, when really hungry, I'm solely a carnivore...and during those times, I simplify my thoughts to a caveman's actuality in a pristine fashion of self-core awareness.

ceciliabeltranposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate the poetry, but now I don't know exactly what you mean.

2. SummerSteward profile image61
      SummerStewardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm vegetarian, and I am FAR from docile. Just trying to be an ethical consumer. I don't think it has anything to do with instinct, we have evolved enough to live outside of instinct in some regards, making ethical choices one of those.

well you know, the ability to make an ethical choice shows that the hunger for killing something in order to live is making you less predatory as you go along.

But heavy meat eaters cannot live without meat. Show them dead cow and they'll think oh...poor cow, now when do we cook it.

1. SummerSteward profile image61

That's absolute rubbish. I was a heavy meat eater for 20 years. I not only can live without the desire to eat meat, but not even a craving. I grew up on sausages for breakfast, turkey for lunch and beef for dinner.  Not to mention  jerky's and animal product cheeses for snacks.  Thanks to mom very little fruits or veggies. Not only am I more clear headed, but I have a healthier digestive system to boot. It's been 6 years and I have found that eating healthier in this manner incites a desire to continue doing so.

Being healthier also encourages a mindset to be more aggressive about what it wants. Being evolved past the point of instincts, I think "predatory" takes on a different context.

many people are predatory, they just express it differently. Our instincts you'll be surprised is heavily influenced by our biochemistry which is directly influenced by food ingestion.

Autism has been found to reduce in gravity when cow's milk is taken off the diet. SO, doesn't that say that if you drink the milk of cows too much at some point in your genetic line, you start becoming like a baby cow. No language, just repetitive twitching of in our case fingers the way cows twitch their tails and ears...

I'm just saying, maybe we shouldn't be stealing the poor baby cow's milk. Our teeth look like horse and goat teeth. we don't have canine. so why are we eating meat?

I'll agree with you there. I have worked with several autistic people and often they are allergic to dairy, or just as precaution put on an entirely vegan organic diet. Also having allergies or peaks in behaviors when food dyes  and preservatives are added to their diets.

I don't claim to know the scientific facts your aiming for here, but I can tell you that as soon as I dropped meat from my diet, my metabolism increased and my digestive system made leaps and bounds in the direction of improvement. I lost over 40lbs.

I've often thought with the introduction of bleached flour and an emphasis on meats and dairy we have walked away from what could be considered a natural diet for us and has led us instead down the way to obesity.

The ability to intellectualize food ingestion to think of the future is very forager. Case in point you.

As for meat-eating, check out the Greek One. Another case in point. The biochemistry is addicted to it, so even if its not logical given the serious implications on our long term survival and the planet we live in, they still will choose on the basis of what the biochemistry is calling for.

"I eat meat, I am already primed for meat eating, don't change the system!"

Meat eaters will eat at the expense of what it eats. Because well, it's food. In the same vein, (pun intended) meat-eaters will have no qualms to be top of the food chain psychologically. I'm on top, you're food sort of mindset. The body needs to have that apathy in order to enable the body to ingest the dead animal.

The more you eat vegetables, the less you have these hormonal behaviors and are able to think clearly about choices.

Deer thinks, should I go this path or that path? Hmmm.....wait. I think something is looking at me. what's that? A lot of deliberating going on when you're an herbivore. You stay alive by being away from danger and thinking in advance.

Predators however are territorial, a little lazy and lethargic with occasional spurts of energy.

I think if meat eating is reduced, coffee drinking will go down with it as well (and that is a sad sad prospect, sorry caffeine addict)

3. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I eat chocolate does that mean I'm sweet?
      Meat eater or vegetarian a side, man is a predatory creature.

If you eat chocolate, you will have a lot of serotonin, you'll be happy and feeling sexy.

Also, when you get your period, don't you crave chocolate...it's the magnesium. If you don't satisfy this craving, you'll have PMS.

Doesn't that point to how food directly affects behavior. Happy chocolate eater on one side, the wrath of khan on the other-sans chocolates.

1. Greek One profile image62
          Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, you ARE right about eating chocolate and feeling sexy

http://healthinmotion.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/eating.jpg

thanks, that is definitely reason not to eat anything for a year.

LOL! scary!

4. sooner than later profile image59
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say meat eaters are more hostile.

5. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cecil:
      The old adage we are what we eat was edited and changed. It now reads: We are what we "assimilate" of what we eat.
      I am also very omnivorous, but I will not eat "beef."
      Beef is difficult to digest. It may hang around in the gut for days fermenting (rotting) before being ejected. Bacteria can thrive in it and it can cause problems in the gut before being "dumped."
      Beef is also too fatty, the protein in it is hard to metabolize and cattle is fed with hormones that increase their size and weight. Chickens are also fed hormones but, damnit, I love chicken....lol
      I try to eat foods that supply "complete" proteins, are moderate in complex carbohydrates and low in fat of any kind.
      I try to restrict my intake of "simple" carbs and the fats I do consume must not be "partially hydrogenated oils" of any kind and certainly not any, or extremely little animal fat.
      We have evolved to be "Human" because we became omnivores with a high intake of animal protein.

Naturally organic meat is totally fine; yummy!  Fish is also great, as long as it is not in highly polluted waters.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image66

Well we needed to eat, and with the lack of substantial food around, we learned to eat meat. We are survivors, ya? But excessive meat eating is detrimental to our health and the planet's. So are we going to persist on this habit we acquired?

Buddhist countries have smiley people,and they are generally more peaceful (except for India, they are the most argumentative people to ever attend any meeting, as a generalization of course) These people most of the time do not eat meat, or garlic.

Western people in places where burgers, steaks and pork are the staple are more "Are you talking to me? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME,WHAT ARE YOU SMILING AT?"

6. ITSecurityAnalyst profile image59
      ITSecurityAnalystposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are what you think and write.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

eeeewwwwww!

1. myownworld profile image71
          myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

That too... but that's another forum.

2. EyesAndEars profile image60
    EyesAndEarsposted 14 years ago

oh, please.  i think it refers to depressive/suicidal/happy thoughts not being a predator because we eat meat!   lol

Uhh, you landed on the wrong forum thread.  Psychology is somewhere else, or you could also try alternative medicine.  Ha-ha!

1. EyesAndEars profile image60
        EyesAndEarsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i stand by what i say.  i happen to be a meat eater, and i like some vegetarian foods, but am definitely NOT predatory!   LOL

Okay..., then why did you mention depression, suicide, and demented thoughts of delirium?  For a whole minute, I thought we were talking about "you are what you eat" or something, and you start getting psycho-active upon the possibility of mental ailments from predatory actions - due to seeking food.  LOL!

Certain chemicals affect our brains and so it affects our choices and our choices make us who we are.

i was referring to this comment. i think this is referring to depressive/suicidal/happy thoughts, not whether or not a person is a social predator!  lol

Well, I choose to claim hogwash when I see it. 
              The "Mental Health" category is here:
              http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2427

Thanks, Ha-ha!  big_smile

well are you competitive and a little moody sometimes?

isn't everyone?   lol

seriously, though, i eat more salads during the spring and summer months, but my actions and behaviors dont change lol  only my thoughts of fitting into a bikini when I go to the beach   lol

well the bikini definitely inspires predators, so on the summer and spring months, you start behaving like prey! Just kidding.

I don't know, steak eaters tend to like competitive sports more, don't you think?

what is it with the idea of predators??   lol

hmm, steak eaters like competitive sports....i think you might be right!  i'm not big on steaks...not much anyway...sometimes...but not much!  lol

nothing, its just an idea I've been bouncing around in my head. smile Need to lose weight, hence the preoccupation with food.

no, it could say that. anything is cool here. you can even say certain foods make you behave in certain ways, the way catnip affects cats.

If foods or the concept of predatory actions make you suicidal & depressed like she mentioned, then no, I don't think it fits in here - under this forum thread.

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Oh! I reckon that makes me a real pussy.

leave them kitty cats alone, i say!!!   LOL

2. mega1 profile image80

and here I was thinking you were just and old dawg!  but still, I am gonna teach you a few new tricks, anyhow!

4. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

arggghhhhh!  what are those beans doing to me?

(poot)

5. myownworld profile image71
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

And I eat lots of nuts! So................. ?

you like shopping, right?

ok. I'm a woman, what do u expect? wink
        C'mon, that was too easy...give us something better than that!

Well nuts, nuts are rich in protein but they are also rich in parasites, which is why some people are allergic to it. So I would say you probably are irritable suffering from occasional acne which leads to poor self-esteem on the days you have them....just a wild guess.

nuts give you acne. (you wanted more so I'm giving you more....no disrespect intended.)

big_smile ..nice try, but mercifully I have clear skin... (Welcome to scan that pic if you like - it's my present one.. nope, u won't find a zit, sorry!)
            As for low self esteem....so the days I skip nuts, I'll have a high one...? ok. that's a first... hmm....

well ofcourse you eat more than nuts right? just as an example.

have you ever eaten the nuts off of a fruit??

2. Obscure Divine profile image61

Was that an ambiguous statement?  tongue

she said "eat" silly

big_smile wink

Hey now, I've heard it called that before.  Not everybody uses the term swallow, since it is so cliche.  Ha-ha!

lol so what does that make you, cocky??

hahahahahs

Ha-ha!  No, the provider...

you have to admit, you do get a little 'testy' sometimes smile

Testicles?  WTF?  LOL!  big_smile

ok, time to call your girlfriend Obscure.

6. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

So THAT's why they call me a 'lard ass'!!

7. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I  have   been   eating        crow  all   day!

gotta run out for more Rolaids now.

8. ceciliabeltran profile image66

Oh but isn't it a fact that our biology supports our food choices. Meaning if you have to chase the rabbit/bison, you have to have an aggressive soup in our brain? But if you're getting your nutrition from foraging, you won't need as much stress producing hormones.

Just saying, beef eaters tend to watch more basketball and football than tofu eaters, who lets say likes to do crafts like beading or other hand-eye coordination things,foraging skills basically.

The stress hormones your body produces that will help make you crouch around like a lion trapping a gazelle is translated as manipulative strategies to gain a promotion for instance. Tofu eating would require you to have the focus to actually pick the soy of a plant, so lots of concentration and attention to details would result. you'll be more patient.

If you eat both, like Obscure, you probably swing from being a predator and a docile animal...much like obscure.

9. Greek One profile image62

what did you say about my teeth???

http://www.flimflammer.com/uploaded_images/horse_teeth-793536.jpg

LOL! you need to brush horsy!

10. Greek One profile image62

i like chemicals and hormones!!

I like chicken that has been scientifically altered to meet the needs of my taste buds!

I like bloody slabs of cow carcasses the leave me constipated for days!!

I like it and you can't make me stop from gorging off of the 'fat of the land' (literally)

However, in a spirit of compromise, I will have some carrot cake

big_smile  true wisdom.....!

(and lol @ obscure!)

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

well ok, smartypants, I am nuts!  and what have I been eating?

beans!

SO MUCH FOR THAT THEORY!  whoooowhooooowhooooo

12. Greek One profile image62

leave the guy alone.. he is ballsy the way he comes on here and... oh oh. I did it again

13. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Then I'm a filthy takeaway with grease dripping off.....

eeewwww. I can't believe you just said that!!! haha smile

1. waynet profile image67
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tis true, I need to diet and keep fit or else I'll have a heart attack....oh well!

tis okay. Sometimes I eat french fries or a slice of greasy cheese pizza. smile

1. waynet profile image67
            waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pizza! cool

I know right!?!?!?

2. myownworld profile image71

ok. that does it. I'm never ordering takeaway again!

(at least hubby will be happy... roll)

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I'd like two orders of eyes and ears - to go, please!  and could I have extra tartar sauce with that, please?  OH!  and a tall cherry coke!  Thanks.

15. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

und zoo  eef one eats much yogurt?

i don't know, I suppose you start acting like bacteria?

1. mega1 profile image80

slimey

16. ceciliabeltran profile image66

ok, lets all have dinner guys. I think that's the whole point of this thread....and once again 3 hours down the drain.

1. mega1 profile image80

no, no, don't throw it down the drain!  there are children starving in China who would eat that!

err, trust me the food in china is great. it's my own refrigerator that's the problem. think I'll go for pizza.

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

y'all have made me hungry and now my predator mode has kicked in. where is my ephalant gun?

18. Supatrupa profile image59
    Supatrupaposted 14 years ago

Oh I'm definitely a predator.. As a soldier one of my duties is to eat otherwise I will not survive...

19. sxyshiningsmile profile image57
    sxyshiningsmileposted 14 years ago

i agree with you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)