Quick Dinner Ideas for the Holidays (vegetable Biryani and spicy curd)
About the two dishes
Rice plays an important part in our cooking .So many products can be made with this food grain. Kerala is a small state of India where people like to eat rice products more.Most of their breakfast is made up of various forms of rice.
Long grained rice or Basmathi rice mixed with vegetables is called vegetable biryani. Here i am describing the method of preparing the tastiest dish which is suitable for a grand dinner .Vegetable Biryani in a simple way using a pressure cooker to save time and flavor.
The weight valve is not needed for this cooking process
.Step by step photos are added for the beginners in the kitchen.
I have described the method of preparation of a side dish suitable for the Biryani named Spicy Curd . Hope you will enjoy both the dishes.
· Long grained Rice - 3 cups
· Water-6 cups
Ghee - 3tbs
· Green peas - 100 gm
· Green chilly - 10 nos
· Ginger paste - 1tsp
Vegtables to be cut in to small pieces
- · Onion – 250 gm
- Capsicum - 100 gm
- Carrot - 100 gm
- Beans – 100 gm
- Raisins – 50 gm
- Cashew nuts- 100 gm
For pleasant smell
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves-2 strings
- Cardamom – 6 nos
- Peppercorn – 10 nos
- Cinnamon -2 inch piece
- Cloves – 4nos
Steps of preparatoin
1. Wash the Basmathi rice and drain water
2. In a pan pour 1tsp ghee and add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and rice to it.
3. Sauté for 5 minute and keep aside .
4. Take 2 tablespoon ghee in a pan and fry the onion till golden brown .Add the cut vegetables , green chili , ginger paste , curry leaves, bay leaves pepper corns to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes
5.Take a pressure cooker and transfer the rice to it and add 6 cups of water
6. Close with the lid with out putting the weight. When the steam started coming cook on a low fire for 2 minutes.
7. Then add the sautéd vegetable enough salt and mix well. Then again cover with the lid and cook After another 3 minutes .Switch off the flame and let the Biryani stay for 10 minutes .
8. In a pan fry ,cashew nuts, Raisins and Half ¼ cup chopped onion .
9.Transfer the fried nuts and onion into the cooked Biryani . For flavor add lemon juice also. Mix well and transfer the prepared Biryani to a plate and decorate with capsicum carrot,tomato and onion pieces
- When the steam come out with a sound lower the flame for cooking the rice
- In this cooking avoid the use of weight valve.
Spicy curd(A Side Dish For Biryani)
Spicy curd is a simple dish prepared using curd ,onion and some spices.
- Oil – 2 tbs
- Onion – 1 big
- Beaten curd – 1 cup
- Aniseed powder – 1tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Cumminseed powder- ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
Spices to be ground cursely
- Cardomom -2 nos
- Cinnamon – 1inch piece
- Mace- a small piece
- Add ginger paste and aniseed powder to the curd mixture
- Grind onion
- In a pan pour 1 tsp oil and sauté the ground spices ;
- Then add the onion paste,enough salt and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder and turmeric powder to it
- Add ½ cup water and cook for 5 minutes till the gravy thickens and the oil separates .
- Transfer the gravy and decorate with mace pieces or coriander leaves.
Please go through my following hubs
- How to make Spongy Appam without coconut or mil...
Appam can be made in several ways .This is an easy method for making Appam without using coconut or milk.
- All time favorite 6 recipes for children
easy recipe for children