Is it normal too...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. romper20 profile image84
    romper20posted 13 years ago

Ever since I have been about 12 I have gained this stressful anxiety, in which I think people are staring at me... Its weird, I know that... But very real. Does anyone have any comments on this? Its kind of a social phobia in my opinion...

1. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What does your family think? Did you have an experience when you were 12?

2. SwaggeretteMom profile image60
      SwaggeretteMomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they are staring, do you have a certain Persona like loud and bubbly when you are comfortable such as amongst friends? Do you draw attention by your beauty? There are many things that fascinate people to staring at things. Think about men, they stare at THINGS. Women stare at other types of things, such as people who are acting peculiar, or females that we may be jealous of, or envious. We stare at other women and admire or critique, and beautiful things like rainbows and rainstorms.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you're a knock out that is why?

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Maybe they think you're attractive?

1. Fluffymetal profile image75
      Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree with habee smile

romper20posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Habee and Fluffy... Maybe you nevver know. Seems more of a brain things though. Maybe im crazy haha!

1. SwaggeretteMom profile image60

Social anxiety or other forms of fears and phobias can make people feel unwilling to go eat in restaurants, or walk through the mall. You may not realize how many insecurities that you have, that need to be fixed or worked on, and that leads to feeling like everyone is staring, but how do you know if you never lift your face to look, due to embarassment or shame that is invalid or stoppable.  There are mild medications that when kept at certain levels in peoples bodies, stop these feelings that are handicapping you. They will not fix themselves or it would have happened by now... as you became a women and matured, and accept ourselves.

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

imo it means being extremely self-conscious, and/or having a social phobia.  I felt the same when I was younger...always thought people were staring at me, watching me.  It made me uncomfortable and I really wished it would go away.  Then, sometime in my 20's, it went away.  Sometimes, though, I'll feel 'stupid' or 'out of place' doing the most normal of things such as: walking into a grocery store, mowing my lawn, bringing groceries into the house...silly huh?  lol  I don't get it, but I tell myself I'm doing normal things so there's no reason to feel 'out of place' or 'stupid'.

4. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Paranoia?

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

thanks, I needed that. hmm

Nah, I had issues that I'm not going to get into here.  Simply put - socially awkward / social phobia / loner / lonely / etc....

5. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

Most people that stare at you are probably either thinking they know you, or more to the point, thinking about something else completely. They tend to go of into a fugue state when thinking about what they want for dinner! The ammount of times I find myself staring at an inopropriate part of someones body when they are standing or walking somewhere, and I suddenly realise that I am staring at a blokes package! lol and I was only thinking about my chicken masala! honest this is the truth. So next time you see someone staring, it is probably something else going on in their head.

6. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I stared at a receptionist in the post office Friday, well at least thats what he thought, I was actually day dreaming and happened to be glaring his direction!

1. optimus grimlock profile image59
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

did he deliver on time lol

7. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Perhaps it stems from a lack of confidence within yourself or low self esteem.  Generally, people who feel this way (which is the majority of the population), think that people see what we see as inadequacies in ourselves.  But, they may not see what we see.  They may see something in you that you don't see about yourself -- good looks, striking features, warmth, openness, etc.  Just my thoughts.  smile

where were you to explain this to me when I was a kid??  lol

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hitting my head on the wall trying to figure this all out!  lol

lol

romper20posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You guys are great smile I know it's silly! But very very real... I am slowly starting to work on it. Thanks so much too all that commented. Means alot to ask people what they think and get intelligent input!

RomperHubber

1. SwaggeretteMom profile image60

Who do you trust? Ask someone that you know will be honest but not harsh and ask if there is anything awkward about you that would make someone stare? Don't get upset if they reply with something, just take it in, and think about whether it could just bother them, or maybe most and begin taking the steps you need to either accepting it, and living happy because of your accomplishments, and graciousness for such wonderful kids, or appreciating what others do for us without feeling sorry for ourselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)