How do you know that something is REAL?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image61
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

What criteria do you use to judge whether something is true and real, or is false and illusion?

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean "in general" - or in something like online writing?

In life in general, I use reason and some form of "rules of evidence" (like they use in court).  I need to see evidence and know there aren't "puzzle pieces" that aren't in place yet before I'll go with "real".  If a few puzzles pieces are still out there, I'll "lean" toward "tending" to think something is real, but reserve judgment until all the puzzles pieces are in place and fit.

Online, and when it comes to judging whether what someone writes is true or not, I guess I go with whatever I can with the above approach; but if that isn't enough or can't be done, I go with an "overall instinct" with regard to how credible the person seems (in what he says, the overall impression he makes, etc.).

Illusions kind of scream that they're likely to be illusions, so I don't even worry about illusions.  I don't tend to run into them, mostly (I guess) because I have such tough rules before allowing myself to form a conclusion.  Unless/until I have enough evidence, everything remains a matter of withholding judgment.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

experiential like physical, the world?

1. sannyasinman profile image61
        sannyasinmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whatever "reality" means to you, and what means do you use to know if it is in fact, real?

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Truth, Is ... Real.

In. That,  Physically ... Truth ... Is Uni-Formly ... Universal.

That Ideally ... Truth ... Is, our God Granted, Ability ... to Distinguish, the Right, from Wrong.

Thus, whatever, is not Truth, Is an Illusion ...  Fallacy.

4. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quick answer:
      Hit yourself on the head with a hammer. Tell me if the pain is real, false or an illusion.

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think, it all depends, on the State of your Mind ...

But I sure am glad, to note, that you are still following me.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

You don't. In fact, nothing is "real". smile

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

definately,  and there is no truth either smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, if you mean The Truth. smile

any truth - everything is subjective - including what we think we see as real.

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, which make our little truths true, yet does not allow for The Truth. smile As my deceased friend did put it - What you say you are right smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    Albert Einstein

4. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

It's all subject to the standpoint of your own sense of reality and the experiences as a result of, and even exclusive of your physical senses.  For someone else to say your experience is not real, and an illusion is an invalidation of the experience you did have.  And who has the right to say what you experienced is not real?  As another person is not in your reality, they have no right to speak on your behalf and judge your experience is unreal or an illusion.  Even a daydream is real from the standpoint of the dreamer.

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

We can go into a nihilistic frenzy and discount everything.  We can deconstruct ourselves out of existence.  Or we can just accept what our senses give us as immediate reality based on the fact we have no other experience to go off of, so why not accept the one we have.

I can believe what I experience.

Or

I can not believe what I experience and believe something I make up instead, including that I myself am made up. 

Given the choices: I'm going with the less absurd.

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

2. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1

6. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Intuition, knowledge, analytical skills, critical thinking skills, long forgotten mathematical concepts, gut feeling,

When in doubt, get a second opinion.  hmm

I did get a second opinion - 

My psychiatrist told me I was mad,
      I demanded a second opinion, he said ok -
      you are ugly as well !

1. GoldiString profile image60
        GoldiStringposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha!.. The truth shall prevail!

7. qeyler profile image62
    qeylerposted 13 years ago

"Real" is subjective. Your reality and mine might not be the same.  In how we view things, in how we respond to things, in how we interpret events. 

I see a moth, you see the spirit of someone who has just died. Is my experience any more real that yours?

It depends on where you are, who you are, what you are.

Oliver Cromwell, for example, one of histories despised figures, yet for the Jews in Jamaica he was a saviour.  The reality of those Jews being able to practice their religion, in public, for the first time in over two hundred years...
    compared to the reality of the Irish who were sold as slaves to work on American plantations...

We tend to see 'our' real and dismiss the 'real' of others.

8. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

What You Believe is Real!
    What You Believe is True,is True!
    What You Perceive Is Reality wrestled from a cloud of Possibility that snaps into Singularity upon Observation!
    Try to grasp Smoke!
    "When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my Eye
    I turned to look
    But it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown
    The Dream is Gone"PINK FLOYD

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Wow.  Call me, "simple-minded", but I'm amazed at the the trouble people seem to have with reality and truth.  lol 

I think there's always a truth - but we can't always see enough of the whole picture to know what it is.

There's also reality, and it's what happens minus how our experiencing it colors our view of it.

If there was "Mary" and "Fred", and Mary has, say, light brown hair - Fred says, "I think people with brown hair are ugly", but Fred was thinking Mary's light hair is blond and meant people with dark brown hair. 

So then Mary thinks Fred insulted her.  Fred doesn't know he insulted Mary, because he'd call her, "blond" and was talking about dark brunettes.  In "reality" Fred didn't insult Mary's hair color, but Mary experienced it as an insult. 

The reality is that Fred was thinking one thing that Mary didn't know about it, and he was seeing her hair color as something other than what she sees it.  Just because Mary can't read Fred's mind it doesn't mind it wasn't reality.  Reality if that Mary feels insulted when, if she could have read Fred's mind, she wouldn't have felt insulted.  Reality is that Fred did essentially insult Mary (without intending to).  Mary may think Fred is a giant jerk, but that's not reality. 

If Mary knows that all she confidently say about reality is that Fred said "x" and she felt insulted, she won't run the risk of making up her own reality.  If Fred knows he has made Mary feel insulted because he said x - he's got reality down.  If they both talk about the incident, are honest, and reach a point where they concur about reality - chances are good they've both got the same reality even better understood.

qeyler's example of one person seeing a moth and someone else seeing a spirit is a good one.  Reality is that the moth is either just a moth or else it's someone's spirit in the form of a moth (or may be something else in the form of the moth).  Someone is right, and someone is wrong.  It's one or the other.  Neither may know who really is right or wrong, but there's one reality, no matter who thinks what.

What's real or what's truth is not subjective if people are careful not to call what IS subjective "reality" or "truth".  With the two people who see that moth, all either knows, without doubt, is that it's a moth.  That's reality.  If they try to add what isn't certain to it and still call it "reality", then that's where they run the risk of being wrong about reality, or not seeing only what's real.  Knowing when to call something "reality" and when to call it "my belief" is the best way to be sure you only deal in what's real and true, and recognize that our beliefs and impressions are in a different category.

There are things we can't possibly know, and recognizing that we only "believe" or "suspect" something, and that it may not be reality, is a way to "keep real" and stay grounded in what we DO know is real.  If we know what to call "reality" and what to call "belief" or "opinion", then reality isn't the least bit subjective and it isn't confined to whatever goes on in our own, individual, heads.  That's where reason, logic, and "rules of evidence" come in.

1. qeyler profile image62
      qeylerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, that's the long version of what we said.   People tend to interpret things as they chose.  Sometimes they put spins on it that aren't even there and go with it. 

Some people know that there actions can have different interpretations and strive to avoid misunderstandings.  Others have no idea that one can read something in different ways.

This is the best example

Me

You

What number is it?

10. profile image53
    probafixposted 13 years ago

Reality is subjective. My reality will be different from your reality, as we perceive things differently. A "catch-all" explanation of things that we consider to be real cannot therefore exist.

1. profile image52
      starsobriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing new here.  Just revisiting Aristotle's philosophy on perception vs. reality.

11. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Or fart, smell it then set fire two it. Empirical evidence! lol

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Earn;
      I tried that and proved "levitation" empirically!   lol  :-)

12. Derek D profile image60
    Derek Dposted 13 years ago

When it knocks you up side the head !!!!!!!!!
    Bam instant proof ..............cool

http://www.printactivities.com/ColoringPages/Soccer/HitOnHead.gif

13. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

your faith or actal proof it does exist

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)