AIG Bailout~ Govt Failed To Examine All Options

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20100 … hy/3531144

No surprise here! I had voiced my opposition to these bailout(s) at the time, knowing full well the taxpayer was getting screwed again. To add insult to injury we had to also spend our hard earned tax dollars on a oversight commission to spend years investigating what we all knew from the beginning, that the bailout by the government was an over reaction and a result of government failures to begin with and rewarding this bad behaviour by AIG would only lead to similar mistakes in the future.

1. TinaMarieTad profile image68
      TinaMarieTadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just wait until Americans want to see where the stimulus funds went!

The bailouts were done to gain control, not to fix the problem.
      If I voice my opinions on our President's agenda for America, I am called a right wing nut..however, right wing nut that I am, I can call a spade a spade, and his agenda for America is not a good one. Spending, and taxing and spending some more. The more he spends, the more control and entitlement dependants he makes. Sad for America...

Our voices are not even heard any more...no matter how loud we scream..
      Vote them all out in 2012, that is my goal.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL As if the other side is better lol

leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well Bush did the bailouts and he did increase spending. I guess we'll never know what would have happened had we allowed companies like AIG and GM to fail, so we'll argue that for generations. The same thing with the war(s). It will take decades of observation and study to assess whether they were justified and whether or not they were worth the cost, in lives, treasure, security, and freedom.

President Obama on the other hand has continued some of the same policies as Bush and has quadrupled the spending. He promised us change, but change can be for better or for worse. It seems the course President Obama has mapped out for us will only take what was a bad situation and make it worse. I view Bush and the republicians as the lesser of two evils.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can refuse to choose the lesser of two evils.

If the country did that instead of choosing the left evil, we likely would have lived in a quite different country by now. But you guys are scared most of all that the other side will win, and they both hold you by your balls because of your fear smile

leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Voter turnout in 2008 was a little over 56%. It's usually between 37 and 55%, so a good portion of American have already decided their vote doesn't matter and who wins isn't going to effect their lives significantly.

Perhaps it doesn't matter, but if we all refuse to participate we will end up with something much more sinister then we're used to.

1. Misha profile image63

Whatever turnout was, the only peaceful way to send a clear message to the top that the whole system no longer works was failed elections - turnout being lesser than the low threshold allowed by law. Obviously this was not the case, and the message was not delivered...

Which set you up for revolution and civil war, unfortunately...

I will be glad to be mistaken, but I do not hold my breath...

I have a tendency to lean towards revolutional thoughts myself. It is strange to think about and it surely seems extreme, but we are living in extreme times it seems.

Another point that I must make, is how much do we trust the election process. The electoral college sets up for corruption and coersion in my opinion. I seen instances with the last presidential election where I thought that votes were being bought.. and look at the voter registration fraud. Can we trust this system any longer?

2. TinaMarieTad profile image68

Hi Misha~ Thanks for the fan mail..It is nice to meet you. I don't find the other side having many answers for the state of America either. I can't think of a solution myself, I just know and pray for America and that a good candidate will come forth before it is election time.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLO - Why didn't you pray last time? wink

I did pray last time, and things were not nearly as bad as they are now.

2. Misha profile image63

You are welcome smile

And I am afraid no amount of praying will help - the system is broken. Or rather its time came. I don't know what comes after, but the transition period promises to be quite painful...

I agree that the system is broken. I fear for America. You are right, the transition is going to be painful for many.

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

hmmm, let's see:

Woman I work with got to save her home thanks to Obama's loan program.

2 people I know would have been in real trouble without the unemployment extension.

I got a tax cut after 10 years at my job.

Real Time, Real People.....I say Obama is good for people of this country. Just not the ones who are used to being catered to....

My husband too has benefited from unemployment and we also benefited from some tax credits for purchasing a new automobile.

The loan modification program that Obama came up with is not good, it has allowed people to keep their homes now, but it was only a 5 year save. Come 2014, there will be another wave of foreclosures from people loosing their homes when these short term fixed rate loans that they were offered become adjustable.

My concern with Obama is his spending habits and his lack of experience with foreign policy, and of course his complacency towards terrorism.

I have read some of your posts, and would like to tell you that is nice to read an oposing view that is not rude and attacking to the oposite opinions. Thank you~

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh thank you right back tina!!
        But I think some people would disagree with you:)

Anyway, as far as the terrorism thing....seems to me everyday I hear about more terrorists being caught. And he has expanded his assassination squad ...which a lot of people think is too aggressive.

I don't think he's complacent at all. And I'm not sure I like it....people are still being locked up and held indefinately on "suspicion".

I just wish the stupid wars would end.
        It's all about power, drugs and money...IMO. But you can read that they are improving the lives of people too.... I wish we knew.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)