i would like to get your understanding on genesis 6:1-4

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ssj510 profile image60
    ssj510posted 13 years ago

i find it very deep but from my research so far its in reguard of an old race of beings (the sons of God) which made a new race of beings called (the Nephilim),from daughters of humankind so could they still exist today? because if you think about it david fought one (goliath),and that name Nephilim pops up again in numbers 13:33, way after the flood, so what do you think

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read the Book of Enoch.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

tongue beat me to it.

Enoch lived between Adam & Noah.
        He saw first hand the whole thing develop.

1. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

book of enoch was not written by enoch. Its a psuedopigrapha book written between 300bc and 100ad, during the "uninspired years" or "Gods silent years".
          Enoch is uncanonized and if you accept this as part of gods word you are adding to gods word.
          Enoch is full of bible contradictions, the only reason people enjoy this book is because it was written about gen 6 and offers an easy explanation, thus, lazy christians don't have to stretch their mind to grasp what is the truth about nephilim.
          There is only one book that is called gods word, and it is called bible not enoch. If you google "rules for canonization" you will find excellent reasons why enoch is not canonized.
          And i will repeat again, the book of enoch was not written by enoch.

1. profile image0
            Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Church of Nicea put together what they felt should be in the Bible or not.
            It does not make the books they left out, not of God.
            There are many books that were left out.

We shouldn't let men decide what is God's word.

Roman beliefs aren't mine.

Believing in the book of Enoch is not adding to God's word

2. liber profile image57
        liberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm an atheist and I love the Book of Enoch.  It's so weird, like the prophecies at the end with the horns and the lambs...I forget how it went but it was really strange.  One of the more creative pieces of literature in history in my view.

Anyways, come on, nobody actually believes that there were giants living before the flood (which also never happened) do they?  I mean, not to be insulting, but really?

2. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This raises several questions. It would seem that the sons of God must have had a physical body?
          and if the flood drowned everyone but Noah's family; where did Goliath come from?

If I remember correctly Adam lived until just before Noah was born, Noah lived until just before Abraham was born so the word of mouth thing would not have been that far disconnected.
         But I would think that a little bit of embellishment might have crept into the story.
         And then of course Ezra did his republishing thing approx. 450 BC.  I just curious how much of the old documentation that he had to reference when reconstructing the Hebrew faith?

1. eovery profile image62
        eoveryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sons of Godis reference to man.  We all of sons and daughters of God spiritually. 

And apperently there were some large people in those days.  But I do not believe Goliath to be of these.  Goliath was just a large person, like some of the large/large people we see every once in a while on earth.  The race of giants would have been killed off in the flood.

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now there's just spiritual giants.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
            ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agree.

2. eovery profile image62
            eoveryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Onusonus,  Good to see you, old friend.  I haven't seen any hubs from you lately.  I usually do not comment in the forums.

1. profile image0

I've got four toddlers, they easily break my concentration for that sort of stuff.

2. profile image0

No it's not. Sons of God=Beni Elohim=Angels

3. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really haven't gotten that far into attempting to understand this part.

I would think that the sons of god refers to something other than other humans (other man) in the same sentence that Man is used talking about another group "Of Man"
             It is just too unclear for me to make up my mind.

You may be right ,   I don't know????

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a lot of nonsense about human/angel hybrids, but angels have no genertic material so this is impossible.

In Gen 4 we read "So Cain went out from the LORD's presence and lived in the land of Nod,  east of Eden." It then goes on to give the descendants of Cain.

Now Cains descendants live outside of God's presence but Seth's descendants continue in that relationship between God and man.

So it seems reasonable to say that the Sons of God were Seth's descendants and the Sons of Men were Cain's descendants. This whole scene seems to me to be a picture of the Jewish tradition of forbidding marrying-out.

The fact that these children grew up to be heros of old and men of renown is just an observation. "Heros" does not imply some mutant race out of God's favour either.

4. profile image0

Sons of God, or Beni Elohim are Angels.
      Book of Job says they were there before He laid the foundation of the Earth.
      Job 38:4-7
      4. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
      7. When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Only those directly created by God were sons.
      After the fall
      The term "Sons of God" weren't used for man until the N.T.

There are different orders and types of Angels
      Angels can take a human body. Men tried to rape two Angels in Genesis.

Angels aren't given in marriage because only humans marry.

2. Lady Rose profile image73
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

if you are really interested in knowing all about the giants and Nephilim, beside the book of Enoch, read  what Tom Horn and Steve Quayle series have to say about it. Amazing.

3. starvagrant profile image65
    starvagrantposted 13 years ago

Not having read the Book of Enoch I can't much evaluate it, but I would point out to brotheryochanan that there are still arguments about canonization. If you'd look at traditions such as the Eastern Orthodox, you'll find some variation on what constitutes God's word.

My favorite way of looking at the bible is that it has no contradictions but is filled to the brim with mixed metaphors. Thus we have a savior that says "blessed are peacemakers", "I came not to bring peace but a sword", and "those who live by the sword die by the sword."

As far as the original question I've personally found it quite difficult to read the old testament (Or at least the King James version). Starting with Gen 6: "when men began to multiply and the sons of God saw that their daughters were fair" I get confused. First is the gender bending. Don't sons of God need a mother? And why haven't the daughters of God thought that men were fair? Why would this spiritual sons of God be tempted by human flesh? And what a second, isn't Jesus God's only begotten son?

Follow the sage suggestions of Lewis Black, and pose this question to a rabbi.

1. profile image0

The book of Enoch can be read online

2. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dont have an argument about cannonization. What the jewish people wrote; OT, what is written about jesus from his apostles is all i need and it all fits nicely in the canon rules.
      Only the ones close to christ can tell the story properly.

Its impossible for angels to mate with humans, possessed humans theory doesnt work either. No book has to tell me different`. I`ve already hubbed this and i did not need to go outside the bible to do it.

4. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Do you believe in a Pre-Adamic Race?

1. profile image0

Nope.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)