Copied Hubs / Google Penalties?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image84
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

I found a hub of mine completely copied on some site obviously created to make adsense money. Im credited - but I want to know if that's going to get MY article penalized by google?

The source link is very small, and very sneakily 3 pages in, and Ive not gotten a single click from it that I can see.

But my main concern is the penalty - will google consider mine a copy because of this?

1. Teris profile image61
      Terisposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You know the more rules Google imposes - the more scammers out there try to beat the system and hurt other people's business, articles and websites. 
      You can report this site to google, if its a blogger site ( google's own sites) there is a button at the top of each site that says " report this blog", so you can get them that way.
      Send an emal to google and explain what is happening.  I do not think Google will penalize you as the original author of the material that was stolen from you, but its good to report it, and give the date and time you first put your site on the internet. They can check it that way.

I have had numerous articles posted on google's blogger sites, most have a link back to my own site.  One particular idiot did not , and they changed the links in side my article to some affiliate product they were selling. At the bottom where my name was supposed to be, they switched the link over to an affilate product again.  So, I reported this site every day, to google, and wrote to them several times, and I even left some nasty comments on this blog stating he was a thief, and what he did.

It stopped all right. 
      Hope this helps, and sorry there are so many scam artist thieves out there, who do not have
      a brain to do their own work, they steal from others.

Sincerely
      Teri

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Will HubPages consider your Hub less unique because of it?

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I think you have good chances of not being penalized... People say Google usually picks the oldest page with highest PR to call it the original...

3. Isabella Snow profile image84

Misha - Thanks, I hope you're right. smile

Teris - It's not a blogger blog.. it's some website in Macedonia.... but thank you for your suggestions.

Relache - I don't get your question.

4. Kelly Comas profile image66
    Kelly Comasposted 16 years ago

Isabella, you're safe. Hubpages is an authority site in Google's eyes and sites like this usually get preference in the indices.

5. djtphn1 profile image72
    djtphn1posted 16 years ago

it is ok to post a link to someone elses hub though, right on your blog, like I did a short little thing on wu yi tea and included the link saying if you want further info read this excellent hub by so and so and then included the link to follow so they could click on it?????I do believe that is ok, if not better tell me now.  I even informed the hubber that I did so and she did not say anything back.
    DJ

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

'Twas mine, DJ.  Saw the link, no problem.  I did mean to write you back to thank you for the kind words, but things have been a little nutty for me over here.

Isabella is talking about something else, an entire article copied and pasted, with a link.  This is a very different matter than taking a few sentences (or, even better, writing your own introductory blurb) and posting a link to the rest of the article.

6. Isabella Snow profile image84

Kelly - I hope you're right, thanks!

DJ - Yeah, that's totally different and most people would appreciate it.

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

Most people love it when others link to their Hubs.  But taking someone's work is poor form.  If I really don't like what someone has done with my work, I'll ask them to take it down.

@Relache: It won't get a lower hubscore if you post it on HubPages first.

8. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 16 years ago

I know your concern was just about how dup posting affects how google sees your hub but letting someone use your articles for free so they can profit doesn't seem right. Why let him profit off of your work.

If he wants free content he go get some subpar articles on a free article site. Thats what they are for. People who are too lazy to make their own content so they go put others up. Taking content that was not intended to be shared in that way is wrong.

If it were me I'd tell him he can keep my work there, but I want $15 paypal for users rights. He gets to post it in tact, with no edits and include my name and link to original. The money isn't the important part, it's sticking it to lazy people who steal quality content and think putting a link back makes it ok. 

If he doens't want to pay, fine, he can give me some link love by just posting a portion of it  with the link. 

Don't let people use your work so that they can profit. If they want quality articles for their site they should pay for it, not steal it from those of us who take the time to write the content.

If none of those options appeal to him and he continues to leave it up I'd send a cease and desist letter and CC his website hosting company.

9. coolbreeze profile image44
    coolbreezeposted 16 years ago

How flattering Isabella   

Think of when they start coping your songs and people start playing them on youtube. 

I have always wondered about that kind of stuff.

10. Veronica profile image68
    Veronicaposted 16 years ago

Some of my blogs on blogspot were plagiarized. I don't mean quoted or linked which would be fine, or even that a few lines were "borrowed" without permission. I mean entire blogs blatantly stolen. I contacted blogspot and those blogs are now gone.

Isabella I'm sorry you're going through this. It sucks.

However I don't think you have to worry about hubpages or google. Points made in this thread are good ones. Plus, even if there was a confusion about anything you have real people at hubpages that can review what occurred and fix it justly.

11. thooghun profile image93
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

If you're an established blogger, then yes, It's poor form to say the least.

If it were me, I think I'd be flattered lol

12. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

Isabella-
    scraping is really awful stuff..I deal with it alot on some of my blogs.
    A friend of miine used to add this at the end of her blog posts:

If you are reading this anywhere other than (name of her blog) it was taken without permission.

Scrapers use a program to automatically take the page and copy it so they would publish that with the page...it was awfully funny to see.

13. MoralsEthics1960 profile image60
    MoralsEthics1960posted 16 years ago

How do you know if you have copied a blog by someone else? I would never want to do this even if it was by accident.

14. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

you can only copy a blog by actually copying the content in it. You could not do it by accident.

15. Isabella Snow profile image84

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions - since Im credited from the onset of the article, it doesnt bother me as much as it would if they were claiming to have written it. I'll keep an eye on it, havent decided how I want to handle it yet.. thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)