Another Funny DMCA Conversation

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

To whom it may concern,

This cease and desist notice is a preliminary to a DMCA notice which will be filed if the copyright infringement is not removed within the next two weeks.

Please note that this is not a DMCA as of yet, however if a DMCA does need to be filed I will not be held liable for the legal and administrative costs associated with this.

The copyright infringement is located at

softwzone.com/blog/news/download-unlimited-dsi-games

Which has been stolen from my site at

hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Nintendo-DSi-Games

I hope this can be resolved quickly and amicably,

Kind regards

Oliver Whitham

------------------------------

We are not in the position to determine or validate who owns the intellectual property rights related to the content in question (trademark, copyright, counterfeit).  However, per our policy, claimants are only required to substantially provide the following information when making an infringement claim:

1. Identification of the material that you are claiming that is being infringing, with information about its location, reasonably specific to permit us to locate the material
    Description of Infringement: ________________________________________
    Infringing URL or Web Address: _______________________________

2. Please fill in the following statement:
    I _______________________________, have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the owner, its agent, or the law.

3. Please fill in the following statement:
    I _______________________________, swear under penalty of perjury, that the above information in this notification is accurate and that I am the owner or are authorized to act on the owner's behalf.

4. The infringement reporter or authorized persons:
    Name: _______________________________
    Addresses: _______________________________
    Telephone Number: _______________________________
    Email Address _______________________________

5. The electronic/typed or physical signature of the owner or the person authorized to act on the owner's behalf.

Once we receive the above notice we are required by law to remove the material in question.

**Note:  If a counter claim is submitted, the site will be reactivated & it will be up to the two parties to pursue legal action.

Indemnification of Host or Registrar

I ______________________________________, agree to defend, indemnify and hold the host or registrar, its affiliates and its sponsors, partners, other co-branders and the respective directors, officers and employees of each harmless from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, liabilities and costs (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs).

Terms of Service Compliance Department
    1958 South 950 East
    Provo, UT 84606
    P: 888.401.4678 Option 5 | F: 801.765.1992

Most questions can be answered by articles in our knowledgebase or our NEW forum!

------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I will fill in the following DMCA Claim form minus the indemnification clause for Bluehost, Since I can legally claim loss of earnings on this stolen content from the content host if they fail to remove the content after filing the DMCA.

I point blank refuse to indemnify you from my legal entitlement to compensation for loss of earnings from content which is worth several hundred dollars a month to me. Asking for indemnification in these matters is highly unethical, and preys on people who are ignorant in the DMCA process.

If you have any doubts as to the legitimacy of my ownership you may want to e-mail the user asking when they wrote it, as Hubpages, the host for the article I wrote, holds records for both the initial authoring date, and revisions.

Please be aware that if this official DMCA notice is not resolved then the matter will be passed to my attorney. The legal fees for which I will not be held liable.

2. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Haha, zero history, eh?

I'm disappointed. But not amazed. And I think, deep down, I may just be jaded.

3. thisisoli profile image70

I just found it funny they tried to put in an indemnification clause in to the rest of the DMCA notice, I don't believe they are that underhand that they would try to do that.

Nevertheless, it's there loss, I will never use Bluehost if that is the kind of operation they run, and will also offer warnings to anyone who is thinking of using a host which uses poor techniques such as this.

1. lxxy profile image61
      lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly. I'd write a whole article about this situation, might make them notice.

4. Edweirdo profile image85
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

Oli,

You seem to run into this quite a bit - how do you find these content thieves?

I found one of my hubs had been copied by another hubber here on HubPages a few days ago, and I just happened to stumble across the copied content by accident. The offending hub was removed quickly by staff, but it was only because I happened to find it...

Do you have some automated process or tool that alerts you to copied content?

thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately not, alhogh it probably would not be hard to build one which used my methods.

I actually end up just going through my hubs copying a paragraph and pasting it in to Google abot once a month, it is a surprisingly good way of picking up stolen content. 

I often use copyscape as well, although that costs a little more.

5. thisisoli profile image70

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Legal Department.

We have contacted the owner and have requested the violation be removed, or we have removed the offending website. If you ever come across sites that are violating our Policies, please feel free to contact us again.

Please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance."

I guess that wraps up that little saga with a peaceful resolution!

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Woo-hooooo!!!  The good guys win.

Thanks for posting this.  So many of us who are new don't really know enough about this type of issue.

Your saga/conversation gives us information on a good method of checking for duplicate content, an effective process for confronting the violator, and additional steps in resolving the dispute.  Educational and inspirational.  Yay!!

thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha glad you found it useful!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)